PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: 62 transmission

Luis Reyes
06-18-2015, 08:39 PM
New owner of 62 Lark v8. Previous owner told me it had a 2 speed transmission, i read somewhere here that its actually a 3 speed. What is the proper way to shift? Do i start on L gear then transition to D? Noticed that there is not much power to the car until it reaches 40mph or so on D only hear 2 shifts

BobPalma
06-18-2015, 09:13 PM
The car was designed to just place the selector in Drive for all normal, everyday driving. That will automatically start out in second gear and shift to third; one shift.

If you want faster acceleration, you place it in Low and it will access first gear and stay there from a standing start until you shift to Drive or the engine blows up due to over-revving.

You can also use Low as a speed retarder when going down long grades or you need engine braking.

Finally, if the linkage is adjusted correctly, you can floor the gas pedal from a standing start in Drive and it will automatically downshift to Low (first) and stay there until you let up on the gas or it gets going fast enough for an automatic upshift to second. :) BP

Kurt
06-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Also, for more "spirited" driving, say as in drag racing, you can select low, run up the RPM's, shift to drive then back to low. This effectively holds second gear. Then once desired RPM's are reached back to drive for third gear.

StudeRich
06-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Exactly Kurt, but who waits to be on a Drag Strip for a little FUN?

75 Miles an Hour in a 45 Zone huh? But officer this ol Stude. could never go THAT fast! ;)

karterfred88
06-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Exactly Kurt, but who waits to be on a Drag Strip for a little FUN?

75 Miles an Hour in a 45 Zone huh? But officer this ol Stude. could never go THAT fast! ;)
Funny, that's what I told the Judge in 1966; " a Studebaker couldn't be going that fast that soon after a stoplight". He reduced it to 40 in a 35--$10.00 fine.

Mikado282
06-22-2015, 07:20 PM
The car was designed to just place the selector in Drive for all normal, everyday driving. That will automatically start out in second gear and shift to third; one shift.

If you want faster acceleration, you place it in Low and it will access first gear and stay there from a standing start until you shift to Drive or the engine blows up due to over-revving.

You can also use Low as a speed retarder when going down long grades or you need engine braking. :) BP

I used to do the exact same thing in my '63 Rambler which had basically the same transmission. only Rambler gave you the option of 1st or 2nd(D1orD2)gear start with automatic upshifts. 2nd gear starts are nice on slippery & gravel roads. Quadrant read P R N 2D1 L