PDA

View Full Version : Interior: Wagonaire cargo area carpet

rbigcal
06-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Is the spare tire cover plywood piece supposed to have a piano type hinge on the front end of it on a 64 wagonaire ?
If so I want to know details on how it attaches to plywood and body. Is the hinge exposed on top of carpet, mounted to underside of plywood? I can't find a pic anywhere that shows a view of that area very well.

jackb
06-18-2015, 05:02 PM
I believe the carpet(s) covers the hinge as it is exposed upwards as you describe. The edge of the carpet(s) will bunch up at the hinge and hide it (make sure the edges are bound). When I installed my original 1962 cover, I think there were about 12+ matching screws (wood and sheet metal) across the hinge. Oh-and if you plan on radial tires, you won't be able to close that cover due to thickness (e.g. 205 x 15's)

garrilla
06-18-2015, 08:17 PM
rbigcal, I just went out and took pictures of my 63 (not sure that 64>66 are the same), but all of the pictures I have seen are the same with the hinge on the surface. That's the only way a strap hinge can work without binding when opening.

Let me know if you would like any other shots.

06-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Is the spare tire cover plywood piece supposed to have a piano type hinge on the front end of it on a 64 wagonaire ?
If so I want to know details on how it attaches to plywood and body. Is the hinge exposed on top of carpet, mounted to underside of plywood? I can't find a pic anywhere that shows a view of that area very well.
I can't find a picture of the hinge area from the top, but I can assure you from experience that it does protrude somewhat on the surface between the carpet on the plywood and the carpet in front of the hinge. When my '64 Daytona Wagonaire was pretty new I picked up a new coffee table that had to be placed the long way to fit in the car. When we got home, the protruding hinge had marred the coffee table. If it would help I can try to get you a picture next time I'm where the Wagonaire is stored.

rbigcal
06-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Now I see said the blind man :D I had no idea that a hinge went on it until it came up about carpet not having vinyl skirt in the front, although looks like it still is supposed to have the skirting in front. Garrilla who did your carpet ?

rbigcal
06-18-2015, 08:48 PM
I see how studebaker did it now 53k and I think I would rather have carpet on top, hinge is pretty ugly looking plus like you said, a place for something to catch on or scratch something. I really don't see why a hinge is even needed the plywood is not going forward anyway because its against the front edge of the body part. Even if it did it would pull right back in place easily. The SI carpet kit covers the whole cargo area from right behind rear seat to the back end of the car.

rbigcal
06-18-2015, 08:52 PM
I believe the carpet(s) covers the hinge as it is exposed upwards as you describe. The edge of the carpet(s) will bunch up at the hinge and hide it (make sure the edges are bound). When I installed my original 1962 cover, I think there were about 12+ matching screws (wood and sheet metal) across the hinge. Oh-and if you plan on radial tires, you won't be able to close that cover due to thickness (e.g. 205 x 15's)
WHAT :eek: no spare ? well crap what will it be next !

Dick Steinkamp
06-18-2015, 08:58 PM
WHAT :eek: no spare ? well crap what will it be next !

A 62 wagon is likely different from a 63-66. A 205 75 15 on a stock wheel fit in the well of my 63 and the lid closed fine.

garrilla
06-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Now I see said the blind man :D I had no idea that a hinge went on it until it came up about carpet not having vinyl skirt in the front, although looks like it still is supposed to have the skirting in front. Garrilla who did your carpet ?

I believe my carpet is original along with the rest of the interior.

rbigcal
06-18-2015, 09:37 PM
A 62 wagon is likely different from a 63-66. A 205 75 15 on a stock wheel fit in the well of my 63 and the lid closed fine.

Well that's good news, I thought that well looked plenty deep for any tire, but wasn't sure about diameter.

rbigcal
06-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Isn't P195/75R15 the size the tires are supposed to be ?

jackb
06-19-2015, 09:38 AM
I stand corrected as seen in the pic above. When I did mine (62'), I chose to hide the hinge by covering it and abutting the 2 pieces of carpet bindings. With 4 new tires (205's), I didn't worry about the number of times I was to open the well. I had thought about placing a bias ply tire underneath-just for a spare, but the car is gone. Also, I'd guess on the later wagons that could have been ordered with the "hide-away" 3rd seat.... the well maybe deeper.

Dick Steinkamp
06-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Isn't P195/75R15 the size the tires are supposed to be ?

You can still get them from Coker, American Classic, and other "vintage" tire suppliers...but they are expensive and IMHO look a little puny on a Stude.

garyash
06-19-2015, 05:30 PM
With 205/75R15 tires on 6" Ford rims, the spare cover will not go down on my '65 Wagonaire. I removed the screws on one side of the hinge so the plywood at least sits flat on tire sidewall. I made a pattern out of brown paper for the entire area behind the rear seat, so the carpet has a bit of a slope up near the hinge, but not too bad.

The wider rims and tires made a huge difference in keeping the car from rolling side to side when cornering or changing lanes quickly. We probably should not use 205 tires on the original 4.5" rims, too wobbly.

garrilla
06-19-2015, 09:54 PM
With 205/75R15 tires on 6" Ford rims, the spare cover will not go down on my '65 Wagonaire. I removed the screws on one side of the hinge so the plywood at least sits flat on tire sidewall. I made a pattern out of brown paper for the entire area behind the rear seat, so the carpet has a bit of a slope up near the hinge, but not too bad.

The wider rims and tires made a huge difference in keeping the car from rolling side to side when cornering or changing lanes quickly. We probably should not use 205 tires on the original 4.5" rims, too wobbly.

Gary, thanks for mentioning the spare size. I'll have to investigate further before adding a new spare tire.

rbigcal
06-30-2015, 09:14 PM
I just had a 205 tire installed on a new 5" wide wheel and it fit perfectly ! :)