Where on the dash is the starter switch on a '53 Champion w/automatic trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where on the dash is the starter switch on a '53 Champion w/automatic trans

Curiosity question. I know the switch is under the clutch pedal on manual trans cars and a toggle switch on the dash on automatic Commanders, but where is it on an automatic Champion? Thanks.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

The First Toggle Switch Left of the Ignition Switch, right where it needs to be for easy access.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gotcha Rich! That's where it is on a Commander or Land Cruiser (which has six toggle switches (left to right; optional fog lights, headlights, instrument lights, defroster, air (heater) and starter only if automatic trans.).
      The Champion has an entirely different dash and only has four toggle switches (Headlights, instrument lights, defroster, air (heater)).
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

The earlier automatic cars used a pull cable under the left side of the dash with a T handle. Maybe the '53 Champions did as well?

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
          Curiosity question. I know the switch is under the clutch pedal on manual trans cars and a toggle switch on the dash on automatic Commanders, but where is it on an automatic Champion? Thanks.
          The starter button on AT 1953 Champions is on the dash down below the ignition switch.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	53dash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1697560 1953-54 Champion only
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thank you Dwain and Gary!

Comment

Looks like you already knew Howard, so did not need anyone's help.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

One great thing about the SDC FORUM.... "Ask and ye shall find out!"

Comment

Reading the posted shop manual page, I found Studebaker's explanation of the "2/3" front seat back, used in the '53-'55 C/K models, quite interesting!

Comment

Rich, I did not know about the Champion, hence the question. I knew about the Commander, but not the Champion. Thanks again everyone for your usual outstanding help!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        Reading the posted shop manual page, I found Studebaker's explanation of the "2/3" front seat back, used in the '53-'55 C/K models, quite interesting!
                        It was a nice touch. I remember standing on the driveshaft tunnel and holding onto the back of the front seat as a kid. Also rode on the armrest and laid occasionally on the parcel shelf under the rear glass. Dad bought that car from a pilot and it came with lap belts in front. It also had the emblem shaved off the lovely low nose and the top and the scallops in the side were painted teal green with the main body of the car ivory. Lovely car. v8 with automatic.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I just happen to be searching for one of those starter switches. If anyone has one, please let me know. I'm using the "flat" toggle style. Thanks
                          sals54

Comment

Sal, I don't have one, but I think the flat toggles were used in the '54 models. My '53 Commander has round toggles.

Comment

Yeah, I think you're right. Mine is a 54.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X