3E13 tonnage rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3E13 tonnage rating

Is a 3E13 truck considered a 3/4 ton and a 3E14 a 1 ton?
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

No. Both are considered to be one ton.
    10, 11, and 12: 3/4 ton
    13, 14, and 15: 1 ton (15 is diesel in 62 - 64)
    16, 25 and 28: 1.5 ton
    17, 35 and 38: 2 ton
    40 and 45: 2 ton HD

Last edited by Skip Lackie; 06-16-2015, 03:22 PM. Reason: Added link.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

3E13, 3E14 Just different Engines. The Commander Six 3E14, can carry more weight than the more powerful V8 1 Ton.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        3E13, 3E14 Just different Engines. The Commander Six 3E14, can carry more weight than the more powerful V8 1 Ton.
        Why is that?

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

You just HAD to ask that didn't you Jack? I pulled the '49 to '56 Shop Manual out and looked in all the obvious places trying to find that Spec. I read in some Stude. Publication, maybe it was a Brochure, but did not find it.

I was surprised to read that the same Tonnage Truck, same Frame, same Axle, same Springs but LIGHTER 245 Engine, has a Load Capacity of slightly MORE than the same Truck with the Heavier V8, the Rated GVW's being the same.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You just HAD to ask that didn't you Jack? I pulled the '49 to '56 Shop Manual out and looked in all the obvious places trying to find that Spec. I read in some Stude. Publication, maybe it was a Brochure, but did not find it.

I was surprised to read that the same Tonnage Truck, same Frame, same Axle, same Springs but LIGHTER 245 Engine, has a Load Capacity of slightly MORE than the same Truck with the Heavier V8, the Rated GVW's being the same.
            C'mon, Rich! You really picked the flypoop out of the pepper on that one.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

LIGHTER 245 Engine, Heavier V8, Rated GVW's same.

Different by about the difference in engine weight by chance? Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                Yup, the frame, springs and axles determine what the truck will carry.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                  Lets hope so, unless Stude figured out a way to violate the laws of physics. Agree with Guido. GVW for both 3E13 and 3E14 with single rear wheels was 7600 lbs. Empty chassis weights (no optional equipment) were 3E13: 3095, 3E14: 2970.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                  X