No announcement yet.

New owner 2 cars lots parts questions. Basicly bought puzzles to put together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: New owner 2 cars lots parts questions. Basicly bought puzzles to put together

I will have so many questions, not sure where to start post in. I have recently bought a 64 good GT Hawk body rolling shell, and a 63 GT Hawk parts car.
    Not wanting to upset any Stude owners, love the car, always have, but that being said an going to build the car for the style/look. Will be GM running gear when made drivable. Have read through so many post, and great site with wonderful folks. The black body is home, having to work on the gold one, it's about a 1/2 mile in the woods, so have to take apart and tote out 1 piece, or as much as can hold at a time. Will post more photos as work progresses on my FrankenStude. I have worked on a lot of vehicles in my life but Studebakers were cut from a different cloth. I found on ebay, and hope is right stainless trim seems right lengths from tail light to missing spear. lots of the parts can get repops, still parts to be found. Still wondering if should have my head examined, but hated seeing just sitting waiting to sink into the earth......
    Attached Files

The 56 year only hood is valuable in of itself. It won't work on 63-64 anyways due to the side grills being different from earlier Hawks. Good save.
    A GT with a LS-XXX sounds like it would be a blast to drive.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 06-15-2015, 11:26 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun you have there! Welcome to the Studebaker forum!
      Just saying if it were me doing this, I'd concentrate on reviving the 1964 GT due to the low production and what a great looking car they are. I'd save as much of the original 64 drive train as possible for a future owner should you decide to sell it.
      That being said, go ahead and be Dr.Frankenstine, just be mindful if you start cutting.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Welcome to the forum...have fun with the GT's. Looks like a Stude graveyard. There is a C/K in the background of the first photo...with grill shells, grab the grill shells if they are not cracked...folks are always on the hunt for them. cheers, junior.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Welcome. It's always great to see another one (or two) being saved. Good luck and the resources here will be your greatest asset.
          Cheers, Bill

Comment

It looks like the black one may have chrome valve covers which indicates it could be a jet thrust engine. There is an interest in the jet thrust engines and parts.

Comment

Unfortunately the Engine is toast, was left to get filled with rain for a few years...Any of the running gear removed will be put up in shed. I hardly ever get rid of what comes off a car I do even if i never use it, there's always someone that needs.
              Thanks for the encouragement..

Comment

Since I have the 63 front cap, that will be put on the 64 Body, still have to find a better trunk deck lid, or proper one if can afford. Will do the Turner brake upgrade so no cutting of chassis...Before i start the mega search is there a GM rear end that will fit the width? Only major change to chassis is I'm pretty sure I'm going triangulated 4 link on rear..

Comment

The stock 44 should be about 56 1/2" wide. The only GM rears that are close at 58" would be 78-88 Malibu, Cutlass and Regal with a 7 1/2" gear. Or 2WD Chev. S10. Or 65-67 Chev. 2 and Nova. With a 8.2". Size wise at 57" wide would be 75-77 Ford Maverick or 57-59 Ford. At 57.25" is the 64 1/2 to 66 Mustang. The Furd products would give you the same bolt pattern as the front. Use the stock Stude springs rather than go to a 4 bar, the rear suspension is the one thing Stude did right. If you plan on gitting on it hard then use slapper bars or Cal-Tracks.

Comment

Good luck with your project and welcome to the Forum. Those front fenders look very solid.
                    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                    sigpic
                    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
                      Good luck with your project and welcome to the Forum. Those front fenders look very solid.
                      Very solid front cap on the 63. I think body wise all that I have will be a very solid great car to build.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        The stock 44 should be about 56 1/2" wide. The only GM rears that are close at 58" would be 78-88 Malibu, Cutlass and Regal with a 7 1/2" gear. Or 2WD Chev. S10. Or 65-67 Chev. 2 and Nova. With a 8.2". Size wise at 57" wide would be 75-77 Ford Maverick or 57-59 Ford. At 57.25" is the 64 1/2 to 66 Mustang. The Furd products would give you the same bolt pattern as the front. Use the stock Stude springs rather than go to a 4 bar, the rear suspension is the one thing Stude did right. If you plan on gitting on it hard then use slapper bars or Cal-Tracks.
                        Thanks much for the info. Reason for GM rear is the front disc upgade was GM caliper/rotor, so figured would be GM bolt pattern.

Comment

Just to add the 64 was a factory power steer/ power disc brake, AC car. Since the under dash Stude AC unit is rare, will use a period correct looking one.

Comment

Can you give us the engine number? The drive train looks to be there. Think twice about a engine swap. A stude engine mated to a Gm aod is a sweet ride. And a lot less work.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                              Can you give us the engine number? The drive train looks to be there. Think twice about a engine swap. A stude engine mated to a Gm aod is a sweet ride. And a lot less work.
                              Will have to pick engine upright and get on stand to get block number, but the head casting is 1557570, tranny castings J29-3, 50-1, WG DIV W2

Comment

Working...
                              X