PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Amp Guage

jwa
06-14-2015, 04:47 PM
The after market amp gauge on my '49 Champ (now 12 volt) activates about every 2/3 seconds when the ignition is on or off - needle moves and I can hear a "thump". The only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. Relatively new Voltage Regulator; upon advice from a friend, checked for oil on the generator brushes. When I disconnect the generator and or voltage regulator, amp gauge still activates, I am assuming; replace the voltage regulator. Any advice out there, please?

9echo
06-14-2015, 05:48 PM
You might check for a short.
73, Jim

TWChamp
06-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Use a piece of tubing as a stethoscope and see which thermal circuit breaker keeps tripping, then follow that circuit to the short.

jwa
06-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Thanks.. Also noticed when I removed the cover that some of the thin copper wire wound around the drum has become dislodged and is touching surrounding metal. Could this be the short?

StudeRich
06-18-2015, 01:50 PM
If it is defective (has grounded wires that should not be) it can not be used on your car.

However if the Discharge reading happens on the Ammeter with the Voltage Regulator disconnected, I do not see how that could be your only problem.

There is should only be ONE Circuit Breaker on your '49 that would open and close the circuit like that due to a short, and it is the Headlight Switch Circuit Breaker, so something connected to it IS shorted.
It must be something other than Headlights as I assume you have them switched OFF.

jwa
06-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Thank you sir. You are helping me get closer to the problem. Will first confirm the correct VR for my Generator; get a new one and go from there. Many thanks

jwa
07-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Found the short in the light switch under the dash. Now, have to get into this tight spot to fix. Thanks for the help and advice