smell gas after full boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: smell gas after full boost

Engine is a r2 with erb dished piston ,dave tbol cone sealed carb,and recurred Mallory dist.
    After trying to get f/a ratio in order .All of a sudden I start have vapor lock while accelerating .(starving for gas, hard starts . I start simple change the fuel filter and move it further away from engine to avoid heat( intake manifold exhaust ports already have been blocked with jeff's gaskets and ss plates).Look at fuel pump and pivot pin is sticking out touching fuel pump mounting bolt ,so I put on one of the new r2 fuel pumps, I think it is a Chrysler conversion. I come back to shop after test run and I have gas all over front of carb by the acc, pump .
    enough gas is coming out that I have about 1/4 of an ounce of gas in the depression on the manifold in front of carb.

1. so I think floats might be off because I have been changing jets, (they were adjusted correct)
    2.screws might be loose causing gasket to leak( they were not)
    3.seal on accel. pump might be worn (Have new one on the way)
    4 large bowl gasket might be worn and not sealing from jet changing. (new one coming)
    5. kicker is now adjusted correct

Has anybody had a problem like this ?
    1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
    1960 conv R2 auto
    SDC member since 1972
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

I think you'll find 2 problems--Viton tip on inlet needle hardened or damaged, now not seating with new pump pressure, or float drop changed with all the on and offs of the top cover, letting the needle get stuck before seating and fuel getting past accel pump seal at the same time, I think it's our gas here. Despite what our replacement parts kits say, they are not compatible with 10% ethanol. Oh well, just take it apart again and replay.

Comment

Check the floats for a pin hole. They may be taking on fuel.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Fred good advice, do you think the carb kit from si would have the new kind of needle valves ?
        r2-4-- already checked
        1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
        1960 conv R2 auto
        SDC member since 1972

Comment

No-all the kits have Viton tipped needles, looking for a substitute--checking to see if these guys are still in business in MA. D & G Valves. Might be a permanent solution.
          Attached Files

Comment

Fred I googled them
            phone (781) 438-1789
            I will call in morning thanks
            1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
            1960 conv R2 auto
            SDC member since 1972

Comment

I think I got it right this time!
              So I took the carb. apart once again, pulled out the accel. pump and removed the seal ,the o-ring is in pieces an worn in unusual way.
              The inside of the o-ring is rubbed flat on half of it's inside circumference, so I get out the jewelers lube and inspect the shaft of the pump, the manufacturer stamped the part number and the number is slightly raise from the stamping creating a less than smooth surface( the stamping was working as an abrasive cutting the o-ring )I mounted the pump in a drill and while rotating it polished smooth. the new seal from SI came and the brass washer part of the seal is .7621" OD, the old seal measured .7421"OD( my carb is a sealed clone hence the diferent sizes ) the brass ring doesn't show any wear and the tolerance for the hole to shaft diameter is .009" greater on my old one as compared to the new one from SI.But I can fit two O-rings in my old one and the SI one can only take one and I would have to trim the outside circumference. I also put silicone lube in with the double O-rings.The combo of the polished shaft two O-rings and silicone I hope is a winner.Dosen't leak after test run.
              So the only thing in a new seal is the o-ring ( the seal from SI cost $15 plus $3.05 in s/h. the two neoprene O-rings I used cost less than a dollar , so unless the one from SI is some kind of new bionic rubber, time will tell if I won or lost)
              Joe
              1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
              1960 conv R2 auto
              SDC member since 1972

Comment

Is your "Fuel Pressure Reference Line" properly connected from Fuel Pump on top of Diaphragm to the Paxton and open & tight?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich ,
                  it is connected will check for clogs, Pump is not leaking anymore ,but must have missed or have some other problem now . Hard starting and hesitation. Old cars you gotta love em. so tomorrow I pull it apart again and see what I missed this time.
                  Joe
                  1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
                  1960 conv R2 auto
                  SDC member since 1972

Comment

Working...
                  X