Another Studebaker Sells Way Too Cheap, 1937 Dictator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Studebaker Sells Way Too Cheap, 1937 Dictator

I was watching the final minutes of this ebay sale and thought the bids would spike in the last few seconds, but they didn't. Someone got a real bargain at only $8600 for a beautiful frame off completely restored 37 Dictator. I couldn't begin to do that restoration on my 37 Dictator for that money.

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      Someone got a real bargain at only $8600 for a beautiful frame off completely restored 37 Dictator.
      I know for a fact the seller did NOT sell it for a loss.

Craig

Comment

Studebaker prices seem to be down a bit this year and I think it is due to what seems to me more of them for sale than there has been in the past.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

We're going to be seeing more and more of this. The club (and old car hobby) is aging, and there are fewer and fewer people that want a prewar car. The market is beginning to be saturated.

Good time to buy, though.

If anyone comes across a mid 1920's Big Six Duplex Phaeton or Touring Car, let me know. A friend wants one in a bad way.

Comment

Well, though I'm glad not to be the seller, I celebrate the wonderful bargin the buyer got! Instead of descrying the loss with these cars, perhaps we should go back to celebrating the addition of possibly a new member to the cadre of Studebaker lovers? Of course, they might be a flipper and there I don't think as much of them. Still, someone got a great deal and I do hope that gives the buyer that much more satisfaction and enjoyment. How much more satisfying would it be to know the car is lovingly cared for and appreciated than just some cash?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The lower prices of the cars is distressing to sellers, but present an opportunity to younger buyers to get a Stude or other classic they could not afford previously. I have not been buying any cars in the last couple of years but have been considering a '37 coupe, priced to sell recently until seller backed out. With an aging collector base & a tanking economy, there seem to be more cars on the market than buyers who can afford to buy them. Many of the fortunate few who have the money to buy more already have about all of the classics they need or have time & space for.
              How many of us ol geezers would have gotten into Studes if they were rich mans toys back in the day? Here is a chance for our childrens & grandchildrens generation to make an investment.
              There are so many factors driving prices up like inflation, scarcity, large number which have been crushed in the past decade, and sharply rising restoration costs, but if people do not have money, prices remain low since supply & demand are the factors which drive prices. Collectibles & commodities rise in value during an inflationary boom, but an inflationary malaise with widespread pessimism for future economic prospects keeps prices down. Of course, the real blue chips keep going up even as the more ordinary cars stagnate or drop as can be expected during an era when the rich few get richer while the middle class & blue collar struggle just to survive- it is a sign of the times. Smart investors will buy when prices are down and be thankful for the opportunity. As scary as the classic car/collectibles market seems at present, I would rather take my chances there than trust the banks, the dollar, or the government.
              Last edited by TX Rebel; 06-11-2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I would never "restore" another one (unless this one gets crushed or burnt or stolen). I was on a mission and had a business I could expense the costs through. My next effort will be just to keep another Stude on the road. When you see the one that tugs at your heart and you just know with a little fixin'........
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Just a note:
                  One car selling on ebay does not make for an accurate judgement on the market value of a 37 Dictator. If he were to have put an appropriate reserve on the car, he could have recycled the car through ebay 3 times. Each time gathering more viewers and thus increasing the circle of potential buyers by creating more "word of mouth" advertising. Not everyone looking for a 37 Dictator is searching ebay in that one 10 day window that the sale happens to be showing.
                  sals54

Comment

The market is never a perfect science. There is a possibility you might get a little more for an item during tax return time. There is a chance you might get a little less for an item during Christmas season for the heart of winter. You may list at the perfect time, but someone who would have paid more is a couple of weeks away from having ready funds. You also might catch two drunk guys who decide to outdo the other and pay double what the car should be. If a seller wants to risk a grand or two and put it in one of the high profile auctions, he might get an extra five grand. Or, he might lose ten. if a seller wants to risk a grand or two and put it in one of the high profile auctions, he might get an extra five grand. Or, he might lose ten; it could be very different results depending on which sale, and at what time it rolls through the sale.

The point is, there is no way you can perfectly speculate and outguess/time the market. The best thing we can do is make an educated guess on the best venue and promote an item as best we can. And all things considered, with millions of potential viewers, eBay IS the best overall venue.

It can be a little tricky to judge the market by looking at successful completed sales on eBay. I have had several occasions where the vehicle didn't sell with the listing, but the high bidder contacted me afterword and a successful deal was reached.

Yes, a lot of variables may or may not affect the price. But on average, a seller cannot beat eBay for a sale, or at least a rea yes, a lot of variables may or may not affect the price. But on average, a seller cannot beat eBay for a sale, or a realistic market appraisal.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

What may have hurt the car's price was that it was a 4-door, and that they made it a point to let it be known that the paint job was less than 1st class. Too bad they put all the time and effort into the restoration and kind of cheapened out on the paint. But if it was as advertised, certainly a nice car for the price. As I get older, I more and more interested in the late 30s through late 40s cars, even though I grew up in the late 60s and early 70s. Something about their look, their design.

Comment

Working...
                      X