A small disappointment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small disappointment...

I was rather hoping to use the overdrive tranny from the '57 on my 1/2 ton Champ. Looks like that won't work.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo10.gif
Views:	17
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	1747052 Now, I do have a car bellhousing... however I'm not too enthusiastic about that idea. So I'll likely go with the regular 3 spd. tranny and the 259. At least I'll be able to pull the two-horse with it. Another consideration is a four-horse straight-load that I would put the horse(s) o ponies in the two front stalls and the carts behind or in the bed of the truck. All of this is a lot to ask of a 1/2 ton truck. However it isn't something the thing would be doing on a daily basis. Whilst the trailer has brakes, I also want to improve the Champ's brakes as much as I can.

It was rather interesting that two of the Cap-screws holding the tranny onto the '57's bellhousing were metric and the others SAE. IE: two 16mm and two 11/16, go figure.

Another disapointment was not being able to use the four speed tranny I got from Gustafsons. Just can't figure out how to work the clutch linkage. It would be nice to have a 5-speed or even a proper overdrive. Then again since I'm chronically short of money for these projects, keeping the cost down negates those as they'e expensive additions. Thus I limp along scratching my head and wondering how to get this project done. Need to get moving with this.

To be continued...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1747053
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Can't you use your Brand X truck for the Horse Trailer? I thought I saw Pics of a Ford or something towing at your place?
    A 1970's F-250 3/4 Ton would be just the ticket, pulls strong with a 460 or smaller V8 and C6 Auto. Trans. like 90% of them are.
    Bulletproof, also very cheap due to age.
    They cost less than a proper fix on the Stude. there are times when a Stude. is great, but with limited funds, they are not because after that many years, they need EVERYTHING and are Great, IF you can afford it.

The Ford's are excellent Trucks with the H.D. Twin "I" Beam Front Suspension, I have a '78 F-250 460 Auto., sucks the Fuel, but gets the job done with Power to spare, for shorter runs it's affordable.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, what have I done that you would accuse me of driving a FORD???Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-sick009.gif
Views:	2
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	1697377 LOL, the boss has a Gimmy.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1697379 However that's her truck, not mine. I was rather hoping to keep the Champs. If I have to buy a brand X, something I'd rather avoid, the Champs will have to be sold to finance it. I'd rather spend three to four thousand (over a year or so) to work on a Champ, than get a newer GM or Dodge. Even at that price, the newer truck isn't going to be appreciably better than spending the money on the Champ. I would end up with a vehicle that would be likely needing the same amount of work. For that cost, I might as well go with the '65 Chevy that I have in Fawn Lodge... Now there's an idea.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo28.gif
Views:	7
Size:	987 Bytes
ID:	1697378 I could sell the Champs, redo the Chevy and put in the 472 drivetrain currently in the motorhome. For the mileage of the 3/4 ton Ford I could have a ton-N-a-half shove-it-or-leave-it!

Last edited by studeclunker; 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM. Reason: remove sig. line
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

LOL Ron! I have been at my Desk, Computer and Notebook (Pen & Paper) the last 2 Hours trying to balance and schedule this month's incoming and outgoing to keep a Positive daily Balance, not having to juggle Trucks and repairs like you, but I feel for ya!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X