tapered axle sticking out too far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: tapered axle sticking out too far

Even though I had the bearings pressed onto my Dana 44 tapered axle, the bearing race on the left side seems to be sticking out too far. I know I can add more shims to get the axle housing flush to the bearing race but I am surprised that I still have over 1/4'' of the bearing sticking out. Any suggestions? Might the right axle be in too far? Thanks. Dan G

IF this is a Twin Traction Diff. the problem is common, you failed to properly install the Axle spacing "Pins" or "Hats" on the inner ends of the Axles, and they have fallen between the Axles and the Carrier jamming the Axles.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Steelerfan View Post
      Even though I had the bearings pressed onto my Dana 44 tapered axle, the bearing race on the left side seems to be sticking out too far. I know I can add more shims to get the axle housing flush to the bearing race but I am surprised that I still have over 1/4'' of the bearing sticking out. Any suggestions? Might the right axle be in too far? Thanks. Dan G
      Try turning the left axle slightly and pushing at the same time. There are two sets of splines the axle has to go into and sometimes with the axle out those two sets may get off center from each other. May not be your problem but easy thing to check to be sure. And I agree if it is a TT the "button" may not be in place.

Ted

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Dan

Comment

It appears I do not have a Twin Traction differential. I am able to stick my finger into the filler hole pretty far and I understand that is an indicator of not having a TT. I looked into the left axle tube and did not see any obstruction. The bearings were pressed onto the axles as tight as I dared. Could it be that the bearings ID were not wide enough? They were supposedly the right size. Any other suggestions?

Comment

How about removing both axles and making sure they are the same length and the bearings are in the same relative positions?

Or, you could swap them from side to side to see if the problem stays with the axle, or stays with the differential tubes.

Or, you could remove the bearing and see if the axle goes in far enough.

The right axle might indeed be in too far.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

RadioRoy, good suggestions. At some point I tried all of those except removing the bearing to see if the axle goes in far enough. I will tear down again and retry. If the right was in too far would that interfere with the left? Is there no gear between them in the differential?
              Thanks!

Comment

If you only pressed on the left bearing, compare and see. If both, you should have the same problem both sides....

Comment

Yes, if one side is in too far, the other side will stick out too far.

Is it possible that one bearing is incorrect and the ID is too large, allowing it to go too far onto the axle? Are both bearings identical? Are both axles identical?
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

In a non TT rear axles but against the pinion gear(Spider Gear) shaft. with cover off you might have better luck figuring this out. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                    X