PDA

View Full Version : Frame/Springs Need rear frame rails for 66 Daytona

Sketchy26
06-08-2015, 07:59 PM
We are in the middle of replacing the trunk sheet metal. Instead of repairing the rotted rear frame rails, it would be a lot easier and less labor intensive if someone was manufacturing or had a set of rear frame rails. Anybody have any ideas or resources that could help me? Thank you !! -Eric-

StudeRich
06-08-2015, 08:13 PM
No one is going to make those but there should be a few members with good used Frames for sale, keep in mind that buying the 2 crossmembers will destroy the frame and any chance of the owner selling it.

Sketchy26
06-08-2015, 09:02 PM
No one is going to make those but there should be a few members with good used Frames for sale, keep in mind that buying the 2 crossmembers will destroy the frame and any chance of the owner selling it.

Thank you for your response. I was hoping that someone was reproducing the last 18" or so of the rear frame (just in front of the spring shackle). Not sure I really want to disect a good used frome just for the rear pieces, like you say, it destroys the possibility of somebody getting a good product. Looks like we will push forward and fabricate some. Maybe when I do a complete restoration one of those frames will still be available.

candbstudebakers
06-09-2015, 01:33 AM
I have a 66 4 door frame in the shop been there 18 years and rust free, also a 63 wagon frame would like to sell both and bring to Saint Louis in Aug. if not they will go to China.

Steve Winzar
06-09-2015, 01:36 AM

Hi guys-
I have another thread going apropos repairing /replacing an Avanti Frame and this was one of the replies I got just FYI

"Nostalgic Avanti has new frame rails in stock.
Robert Kapteyn"

Steve

57pack
06-09-2015, 08:14 AM
I was in South Bend at the Studebaker Plant in 1970 or 71 doing some exploring. i remember seeing many frames stacked somewhere. Can't remember exactly what building I was near, just remember there being a rail siding nearby.
They probably have been scrapped a long time ago. Maybe Ed Reynolds may have saved one or two? Who knows?

Bordeaux Daytona
06-09-2015, 09:12 AM
During the Stude International tour a couple of years back I remember seeing a couple of frames, one was for a wagonaire but they might have been used. I think they were for sale at the time.

swvalcon
06-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Unless you have a clean frame near by I would think you would be time and money ahead to build you own rear frame section. Shouldn't be that hard to do being you have the old frame to go by and not doing this from scratch.

rkapteyn
06-09-2015, 10:14 AM
I was in South Bend at the Studebaker Plant in 1970 or 71 doing some exploring. i remember seeing many frames stacked somewhere. Can't remember exactly what building I was near, just remember there being a rail siding nearby.
They probably have been scrapped a long time ago. Maybe Ed Reynolds may have saved one or two? Who knows?
Those were station wagon frames and were used by Avanti motors in a pinch between running out of frames and having new frame rails produced.
The station wagon frames were shortened to fit the Avanti and were poorly welded as some Avanti owners can testify to.
Somewhere in my stacks of papers I had a range of serial numbers that had these frames(1972?)
Robert Kapteyn

57pack
06-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks Bob, you filled a empty spot in my brain. Now I know what happened to them.

StudeRich
06-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Hi guys-
I have another thread going apropos repairing /replacing an Avanti Frame and this was one of the replies I got just FYI

"Nostalgic Avanti has new frame rails in stock.
Robert Kapteyn" Steve

Good to know Steve for those needing Side Rails, but I think Sketchy26 MAY be looking for the Crossmembers, it is not clearly stated, since (Side) Frame Rails are full Car length not "REAR".

63t-cab
06-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Post # 3 states what is needed.

Good to know Steve for those needing Side Rails, but I think Sketchy26 MAY be looking for the Crossmembers, it is not clearly stated, since (Side) Frame Rails are full Car length not "REAR".

Sketchy26
06-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys, I was looking for rear frame rails, not crossmembers, sorry. I was hoping that someone would be manufacturing the rear part of the frame, possibly from where the gas tank begins, to the rear of the car where the bumper brackets bolt onto. Our frame rails are rotted at the ends (where rear bumper beackets bolt up) and just figured if someone was making some part of the rear frame, we could cut and replace with new. Seems like nothing like that exists for our 66 Daytona, so we are fabricating some. Thank you guys.