58 studebaker Scotsman wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 studebaker Scotsman wagon

Just joined recently. I'm staring a buildup on my 58 Scotsman 2dr wagon. Basically I have a complete car minus engine and trans. And some small trim pieces. I bought the car from the original dealer back in 97 in okanogan wa. Since the drivetrain is missing I have been thinking about a transplant. Possibly a stude v8 if I can scrounge one up or a SBC. Looking for some direction I suppose. I'm finishing up a 53 Chevy sedan currently. Stock build 6 cyl.

Thanks.

Aaron

Aaron,
    Nice find. Sounds like you're gonna enjoy the build on this wagon.
    A Stude V8 is a bolt-in for that car, but a Chevy V8 is also nearly a bolt-in because in 1965, Studebaker used Chevy V8s in their cars. So all the parts you need to swap in a Chevy are available here on the forum. Just ask.
    Good luck
    sals54

Comment

About 3 years ago, started on a 58 Scotsman wagon project for a fellow. Stumbled across a 63 259 V8 that turned out to be a strong engine.. He wanted a 4 speed, bought one from Ted Harbit at the South Bend swap meet. I had a flange axel 3:31 rear, had it narrowed to accommodate wider wheels. Cut a coil and a half on the front and add 2" lowering blocks at the rear. Put Turner 4 wheel disc brakes on it. Installed an Ididit tilt steering column and the list goes on. It was fun to blast down the road in it even without glass in it and March in Michigan. His wife pulled the plug on it, so it sets covered up so he could renovate a beach house in way south coastal Georgia. Hope wagon gets finished someday.
      There's nothing that sounds any better at the end of 2 pipes than Studebaker V8. He had his made to come out each side in front of rear wheel.
      Hope this short story encourages you with your project,
      Kim

Comment

Aaron,
        What a great project. I hope you stay with a Studebaker engine. Like Kim said it would sound great and a Studebaker engine is an attention getter. They are great performance engines if built correctly. Try the Studebaker racing site for ideas.
        Richard
        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

I think user Treblig has one ready to go. He's in Texas.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Well I found a local gentleman in the area has complete rebuilt 259, from carb to oil pain. also has a pulled was running 259 and ton of lark parts, trannies. so I think I have found my potential drivetrain. might as well go stude instead of SBC

Comment

If you are new to Studebakers, you may not know, but the engine and bell housing must be matched to each other through a "Dial In" process.If you use a different BH than the one that came with the engine,you should look into it.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
              X