PDA

View Full Version : It Lives!

gordr
06-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Still in yard cleanup mode. Today, I decided to move a '51 Champion "parts car" so I could mow under it. Dragged it out with a chain behind the tractor. Aired up one low tire. Seeing as it was a really, really fine day, I decided I might as well resume my long-interrupted efforts to get the motor running. Hooked up a big Cat battery with jumper cables. Squirted some gasoline into the open intake manifold, no carb on it. It popped a few times, but never picked up any revs. Decided to bolt on a carb, so I picked a swap meet WE off the shelf, and bolted it on. Filled the carb bowl with fuel, primed it, and it tried to run, but too many stuck valves, and it was popping back fiercely through the carb.

So off with its head! Air impact made short work of removing the head bolts. None stuck at all. Several valves were stuck. Spun it over on the starter, while spraying Liquid Wrench and motor oil on the stuck valve stems, and tapping the reluctant ones (mostly #5 exhaust) with a small hammer. Eventually all the valves moved freely. Decarbonized the pistons and head with a putty knife, painted the old head gasket with some aluminum paint, and put the head back on. Now it sounded much more promising. Stopped and fashioned a "throttle control" out of a piece of bent wire, so I could work the throttle while using a screwdriver to jump the solenoid and crank it. Woo-Hoo! This time it started and ran for a few seconds. Eventually, I was able to get it running long enough to whip back and check the oil pressure gauge, which showed 40 pounds pressure at about 2000 RPM. It had enough time running to get good and warm, but nowhere near to being cooked. Still wouldn't idle, but that carb could have crud in it. Did sound like all cylinders were working, though.

I guess the next step is to put a water pump and rad hoses in it, and see if the thing holds water, then run it until thoroughly warmed up, and see how it behaves. Then it will need a transmission behind it.

Anyway, at worst, now the engine is a rebuild candidate, unless it proves to have a block crack somewhere. Even in that case, I now know the rotating assembly is OK.

dean pearson
06-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Your having way to much fun!

Dean.

TWChamp
06-08-2015, 08:55 AM
But, what about the all important question.................did the grass under it get mowed?

gordr
06-08-2015, 11:58 AM
It sure did, and I didn't even hit any scrap metal with the riding mower.

Dick Steinkamp
06-08-2015, 12:21 PM
After one of Gord's "little projects" I always start humming this for some reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKTNWI0eYJ4

TWChamp
06-08-2015, 03:52 PM
It sure did, and I didn't even hit any scrap metal with the riding mower.

I was mowing the front yard and hit the cast iron city water cap for the shut off valve. It caused some expensive mower damage, and I had to make some of the parts which were no longer available. The next day I learned you can just pound the cap down with a hammer. An expensive lesson learned a day late.

Mikado282
06-08-2015, 07:42 PM
The joys of simple technology, built with the view that anyone with simple hand tools could repair it. Not anymore.