Question on 53 Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 53 Dash

All the Studebaker script that I have seen on the toggle switch plates has been red or just chrome. I have several in the shop and this is the case. Were they red or plain from the factory? OR, possibly gold tint like the switch wells?

I have two used ones on the shelf that look as if they may have been gold. Very faded.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Another similar question.. Is the gold tint around the switches the same as what was used on the wheelcovers?

Comment

The wheel cover centers were Transparent Gold Lacquer, probably not the same as the Switch wells, but without digging out the Factory "Color" Documents/Blueprints from the Studebaker National Museum I do not know for sure.

I have seen the Chrome dash nameplates in White, I doubt Red is correct.
        But I do think anything will work fine on that particular Highly Modified Dash, you can't lose originality points on a Custom.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-07-2015, 10:47 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

White on the dash moulding, red on the radio overlay.

Chris.

Comment

mbstude wrote -
            ""Another similar question.. Is the gold tint around the switches the same as what was used on the wheelcovers?""

If it isn't the same, it's VERY close. I have several, all are gold, both the script and the pockets for the switches.
            I don't have a radio, so I can't say about that, but there are no other colors on the dash except that actual dash color.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                All the Studebaker script that I have seen on the toggle switch plates has been red or just chrome. I have several in the shop and this is the case. Were they red or plain from the factory? OR, possibly gold tint like the switch wells?

The Studebaker script on my 1953 is gold in color.
                sigpic
                Jim

Comment

I have a N.O.S. one and it is gold like on the wheel covers.
                  Robert Kapteyn

Comment

interesting topic...

'53 Champion gauge surround does not have any script on it. The switch functions/wells are panted flat black, not gold. But, I want to say I have seen them in black for commander as well? The script on the radio is red.

Jeff in ND

Comment

THANKS Robert, and everyone, I looked at one that came out of a 53 sedan that was original. (I had forgotten I had it). It had a little gold left. Looks like gold is correct.

P.S. Robert, is the one you have for sale? Thanks, Tex

Comment

I have owned many of these, both NOS and used (in cars and out). The problem is that I rarely remember colors.

The large 1953 color brochure does show a good color picture of a Commander dash. Both the switch recesses and the Studebaker name are in gold. I can not imagine Studebaker painting this single piece of chrome with two colors.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jims53 View Post
                          The Studebaker script on my 1953 is gold in color.
                          Yours probably has the original still on it, Right Jim? Beautiful 53

Comment

I have seen the Chrome dash nameplates in White, I doubt Red is correct.
                            But I do think anything will work fine on that particular Highly Modified Dash, you can't lose originality points on a Custom.[/QUOTE]

You are right Rich, however I have certain things I like correct. Just the part of me that's built a lot of original cars, I suppose. Kinda wanted to see what everyone would come out with, AND, I wasn't disappointed. I love this forum.

Comment

Working...
                            X