McKinnon 283 vs Chevy 283

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McKinnon 283 vs Chevy 283

A member of my chapter claims that Studebaker engineers made changes to the McKinnon supplied V8's they put in '65 and '66 cars that improved them over the Chevrolet version. I say they were identical and no changes were made to the engine. What say you?

Discussion on that here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=mckinnon

Craig

Comment

A 283 is a 283.

I can't believe this is still being debated after 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        After reading way more than I needed to answer my simple question, much of which I already knew, I take it there was no difference at all in the engines.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          A 283 is a 283.

I can't believe this is still being debated after 50 years.
          I didn't debate the guy. He is someone who should know better and I am relatively new to the club. I just wanted confirmation that what I am certain of is true. The sad thing is we were at a carshow today and he was representing that there were significant differences to passers by.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguy_46ca View Post
            I didn't debate the guy. He is someone who should know better and I am relatively new to the club. I just wanted confirmation that what I am certain of is true. The sad thing is we were at a carshow today and he was representing that there were significant differences to passers by.
            I just meant "in general". After all these years, I'm surprised people still want to think otherwise. Good on you for trying to get the right info out there!

Comment

Goes to show that some will believe whatever they want to believe... no matter what!!! No time limit on such silliness, either.

Comment

My understanding is that the 283 Mckinnon was a GMC truck motor. I believe the only thing Studebaker did to it was install the carburetor and the valve cover stickers.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Actually they did not even do that, unlike the Avanti II's they did not omit or trash the Rochester Carb. they left it on there!

So that leaves the Checker and Jeep Bellhousing, Borg Warner Trans., Prestolite Alternator and Valve Cover Decals to add.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A 283 chev is a 283 chev weather you put it in a studebaker or a ford.

Comment

I am sure at that time, Studebaker did not have the resources to spend trying to tweak a perfectly good engine. Just drop it in and go.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

sounds like a discussion along the lines of: yea, the Troybuilt & Deere units you can buy @ Lowe's or Home Depot are better than the ones made for a franchise dealer....

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                          My understanding is that the 283 Mckinnon was a GMC truck motor.
                          Absolutely correct. The same 195 HP 283 installed in Studebakers was also installed in GMC trucks...and Chevy trucks, and Impalas, and Chevells, and Chevy II's, and marine applications, and Canadian Pontiacs, and others. Part for part there is NO difference between one 65-66 195 HP 283 and another.

So, if you want to say that Studebaker used the same motor that was used in GMC trucks, you would be correct.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

USA market GMCs did not use the 283 in 65 or 66. They were still using their exclusive line of V6 engines... though they did also offer models with 230/250 and 292 Chevy inline 6s starting in 64. http://www.6066gmcguy.com/Inline6.html
                            Sorry for straying off course...

Comment

Originally posted by 54Frank View Post
                              USA market GMCs did not use the 283 in 65 or 66. They were still using their exclusive line of V6 engines.
                              Good point. I guess you'd have to say "Studebaker used the same 283 that was used in CHEVY trucks."
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X