Hawk parts additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hawk parts additions

I'm a novice and would like advice. I have a 56 Sky Hawk that is pretty basic but solid. Would I be able to use the power brake set up and power steering set up from a 60 Hawk to upgrade my 56?

No , not real easy, things need to be changed because the size of the steering shaft, and also the pit-man arm is different size than the control valve style power steering.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Use the Mustang pitman arm ball and then you can mount the Studebaker power steering setup to it. No good reason on earth why it HAS to be the peened over ball on a Stude pitman arm when you can BOLT on something that will work.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        Use the Mustang pitman arm ball and then you can mount the Studebaker power steering setup to it. No good reason on earth why it HAS to be the peened over ball on a Stude pitman arm when you can BOLT on something that will work.
        Thought about doing that on my Avanti, about the third time I needed to pull the control valve!!! Almost drilled out the peened ball shaft, but wasn't sure the mustang, truck, etc. balls were all the same diameter shaft. Nothing worse than removing the original and not being able to find the right one to replace it with!! Do you know the correct Ford part number or aftermarket supplier of the correct one??

Comment

Why not get the whole steering gear from the '60 hawk? there are saginaw steering gears in some early CK's that the linkage type p/s setup will bolt right on to. Good Luck Doofus

Comment

You just can't drill out the peened one on the permanent type setups. The hole HAS to be the same taper. The bolt in ones use the same taper as tie rod ends......seventeen degrees IIRC.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X