63 avanti powershift trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 avanti powershift trans.

can anyone give me the name and ctc. info of anyone who is knowledgable of this trans. i have a couple of questions and no one here to turn to. any info. will be greatly appreciated. tks chas.

Questions can usually be answered here.

If local hands-on repair is needed, it's helpful to know the Powershift is a version of one of the most long-lived and common automatic transmissions. It was manufactured by Borg-Warner and used in millions of Fords, Mercurys, AMCs, International and several others.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

thanks jack, i have a specific question reg. the coolant return line back into the trans.. my trans mech is young and never worked on a b. w.. am trying not to have to pull trans. my question. the return line, when going back into trans. the metal line goes up and over top. does it connect to anything or just dumps fluid . mine is not attached causing consern tks for help.

Comment

The coolant return line connects to the trans, as you would expect. You can see an illustration on p. 97 of the Dec., 1963 Avanti parts catalog.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

thanks, ddub, correct, but does this return line once it enters the trans. it goes up and and over valve body does it connect to something, or does it just dumps fluid. mine is not connected to anything and i don't know if that is correct or it has become loose. the trans. is still in car and i don't to pull it, send to trans. shop if i don't have to. i hope this explains. tks chas.

Comment

I dunno, but I would guess it just dumps into the pool. Some one with real knowledge should show up soon.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I believe the cool fluid returned to the trans is routed into the convertor where the heat is made.

Different trans may do it different though.

Comment

Originally posted by charlotte1963 View Post
                thanks jack, i have a specific question reg. the coolant return line back into the trans.. my trans mech is young and never worked on a b. w.. am trying not to have to pull trans. my question. the return line, when going back into trans. the metal line goes up and over top. does it connect to anything or just dumps fluid . mine is not attached causing consern tks for help.
                I think the 'cooled' transmission fluid is directed towards the 'Front Band' in an Avanti Power-Shift transmission,....an area of major heat buildup during 'spirited' driving!!

Comment

thanks sn-60, i'm hoping what ur saying it is dumped near front band. when i took the pan off that line felt like it wasn't connected to anything, it felt loose like it was just laying on top. my trans. mech. think it just dumps cooled fluid. pls adv. rks for ur help. chas.

Comment

Your observation is correct. The returned fluid is squirted or 'dumped' under pressure from the open end of the steel tube towards the front band 'gap'. (This front band is wider in Avanti and HD automatic transmissions than in standard Studebaker Flightomatics.)

Comment

thanks to everyone for help.chas.

Comment

Are there differences in these transmissions between car brands or are they exactly the same?
                        Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        Questions can usually be answered here.

If local hands-on repair is needed, it's helpful to know the Powershift is a version of one of the most long-lived and common automatic transmissions. It was manufactured by Borg-Warner and used in millions of Fords, Mercurys, AMCs, International and several others.

jack vines
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

Yes, there are differences in bell housings, tailshafts, valve bodies and bands, even between Studebakers.

No, nothing which should bother a transmission shop. They should have access to the books/microfiche/discs which show exactly what was used in exactly which make model and year.

jack vines
                          Last edited by PackardV8; 06-11-2015, 05:05 PM.
                          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                          X