Transporting my Grandfathers 1940 President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting my Grandfathers 1940 President

Hey everyone! My grandfather recently passed on about a month ago and I inherited his 1940 completely original President. It will need to be transported from the pacific northwest to Oklahoma. So I am toying with the idea of renting a truck and trailer and hauling myself or hiring a transport company to haul it for me. I have never dealt with car transport companies and have no idea which ones I should trust.

Which companies would y'all recommend?

Any help or tips for getting my grandfathers car to Oklahoma would be greatly appreciated!!

-JosephClick image for larger version

Name:	11182702_10153246311075729_3724594404165290072_o (1).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1747007

"Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

How well does it drive? Do you have time for a road trip? it could potentially be a family bonding adventure! If time is in short supply, then Pegs Trucking is a well respected company that many members including myself have used.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It is still a 6volt system. Needs starting fluid to start but once it does, it drives decent. I think the fuel is old causing the slow start. I do have time for a road trip, though the car would have to be on a trailer. The rear brakes drag, so after a couple miles they get kind of smokey.

Comment

I used Peg trucking to haul my 1940 President from Greenville SC to Claremore OK and they did a great job no problems.
        BTW, is your President's upholstery light grey with dark blue or grey stripes stiched in?

Comment

Just had Peg trucking haul a friends 57 chevy nomad from Ill. to Ca. he was more than happy $1500 in a closed trailer.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141219_125040.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1697200Click image for larger version

Name:	20141219_125046.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1697201It is actually light grey and a maroon color

Comment

Looks to be a beautiful President! Sorry for your loss of your Granddad but congratulations on your inheritance.
              As for transport, have heard nothing but good about Pegs.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Peg, of Peg Trucking, is Peg Palaszeski. She likes Studebakers and has been a member of this forum for seven years; screen name pegaleg .

Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You have a beautiful car. Hope to see you and the car in Branson in Sept. at the Ozark Trails Orphan Car show.
                  Gary Sanders
                  Nixa, MO

Comment

I recommend Peg as well. I have had her deliver, and pick up several Studes here in Oklahoma.
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Awesome guys, thank you very much for the recommendation. I have emailed her and so far she has had the best price! I look forward to meeting all of you at car shows one day!

Comment

Lucky Joe! Also lucky Gramps as he chose the right person to pass on that old treasure! What a beautiful car, congrats. Have Peg transport it for you and get it home in good shape. Then have your brakes done and enjoy!
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by Okiejoe86 View Post
                          Awesome guys, thank you very much for the recommendation. I have emailed her and so far she has had the best price! I look forward to meeting all of you at car shows one day!
                          Do not shop on price alone. I have some terrible stories and experiences along those lines. As long as Peg is within the average range, I would go with her. Your biggest decision may be whether to go with open or enclosed transport.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have called about 6 different companies, looked at their reviews, read other peoples reviews, and thought about both open carry and enclosed. It is a tough decision!! Down fall to reading reviews online is that it seems like happy people rarely leave reviews, only the pissed off people. But over all, Peg is the best so far.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1699333 Studebaker is En Route to Oklahoma! Thank you Peg!

Comment

Working...
                              X