Fuel Injection for V8 Studebakker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel Injection for V8 Studebakker

Can someone tell me who it is in our club that is selling fuel injection kits for the V8 Studes. I also remember a seminar at one of the Internationals where someone had installed fuel injection into their Avanti.
    Was it possibly the FAST system?
    Regards,
    Mark

Try Howell Engine Developments: http://howellefi.com/

Comment

I think these are the guys you want. Joe Hall has this setup installed. I'll let you search the site if you need more postings.

Fuel injection conversions for International Harvester, AMC and Studebaker vehicles

Bob

Comment

As you note, most any of the modern electronic F.I. will work.
        FAST, Edelbrock, Holley, EFI, etc.

If I were going to do this, I'd go with the FAST system.

Mike

Comment

Conestoga member Joe R is the one with the Avanti and the one who gave the talk in Colorado Springs. PM me your contact info and I will forward it to Joe. I will say that his setup is very clean and trouble free.
          Carey
          Packard Hawk

Comment

I build MegaSquirt systems to run many motors.

Many of the aftermarket systems have major shortcomings (besides price).

Such as throttle body injection systems, it is very difficult to overcome fuel distribution issues these systems that may or will present with.

If you can provide port injection hardware for your motor I can build a ECM to run it for a very reasonable price.

Comment

Since the early 1980s, folks have been swapping OEM style EFI onto 1960s-70s vehicles, originally carb equipped. Those swaps became popular, since they were, and remain "the answer" for anyone seriously determined to stamp out vapor lock.

Howell arrived on scene early, and began to market pre-fabed kits, for easy installation. Howell is still around, but I suspect has been bought and sold many times. Another company arrived much later, with a catchy title, "Affordable Fuel Injection" (AFI), but I suspect they are not what they once were either.

Another guy (Bill Hamilton) came on the scene 10-15 years ago, almost by happenstance. He is into older IH vehicles, and fabbed his own EFI for a few personal IHs. Soon, friends began asking him to build kits for them. It kinda grew from there, and he has provided kits for most anything originally carbed. At this point, I believe he could put EFI on a moped.

Bill has also became the go-to guy for folks who bought kits from Howell, AFI, Holley, etc., then found tech support was lacking. He also helps folks who are fabricating their own from scratch.

I have his TBI style kits on the 62 and 63GT, and could not be happier. They get around same MPG as a good running carb setup, but perform about like a Holley double-pumper carb.

See the link in post #3 if interested.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 05-30-2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I also installed a Hamilton TBI system on my 63 Studebaker 289 and couldn't happier!

Comment

$2OOO will buy a LOT of gasoline
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    $2OOO will buy a LOT of gasoline
                    I dig what you're saying, but in all fairness, its not always about mileage.
                    Its about the same equation with an overdrive transmission. It will be quite difficult to recoup the expense by the amount of gasoline saved, but the driving pleasure from the overdrive is remarkable. The car is quieter and with the rpm drop on the highway, the engine may last a bit longer.
                    Similar with the EFI, as its not just the mileage, but with drivability. If you live in an area where there is any significant elevation changes, it can make a huge difference in how the car performs. As an example, I live at 50' above sea level in Sacramento. Reno NV is only 90 minutes away, but its a 7000 foot elevation change to get there. I can tell you from experience, that it does make a difference between a carbureted engine and one with EFI.
                    Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind the carbs as I've tinkered with them for decades. But I do understand why someone would go the EFI route.
                    I put 12" disc brakes on my car many years ago primarily because I wanted to. I don't think the car really needed them to stop well. 11" drums work pretty good on our cars, but the disc brakes have been extremely reliable due to their size and surface area. Its one thing I don't have to worry too much about and I don't have to adjust them anymore.
                    sals54

Comment

The HFI systems are less than $1500. However, anyone contemplating EFI should not plan on recouping any money in gas, as the MPG is about same as a well tuned carb. Both of mine average around 17 MPG in town & country, and around 20 on the big road. IIRC, the 62GT got around 21 MPG on the 5000+ mile, round trip to California, last June.

True, many Studes will not come close to the above MPG, but some do.

Comment

Working...
                      X