61 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 61 Lark

For the 61 Lark six cylinder, Flightomatic transmission, what was the factory installed rear end ratio? What is the recommended top speed with this set up?
    Thanks.
    David G. Nittler

3.73 60-65 mph (maybe a bit more-but you have a weak head)

Comment

I have a '63 Lark VI Regal 2 Door Sedan with the 3.73 and Overdrive, I can do 65-70 without overheating, but before we installed the Overdrive or in direct gear I would not push it over 60, you could already start to see the Temp. Gauge climbing.

The Temp. stays very stable at the Normal 1/2 on the gauge when not run too fast in Overdrive.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have 63 Lark VI two door sedan 3 speed without overdrive and the engine sounds plenty wound out even doing 50 MPH. I haven't driven it in years just because of the low gearing.

Comment

Not saying this is Your solution . We once had a 62 Lark Regal 4 dr. with auto and a 3:73,swapped in a 3:07 TT and it could roll down the Highways at about 70 give or take "now the sizable hills were more of a challenge " all around it was a good choice then and put some miles on it year round.
          Originally posted by drnittler View Post
          For the 61 Lark six cylinder, Flightomatic transmission, what was the factory installed rear end ratio? What is the recommended top speed with this set up?
          Thanks.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by drnittler View Post
            Thanks.
            Your answer not given yet, is 3.73 Standard and Automatic Trans.

The Engineers must have been thinking Performance with the New Long ram intake OHV Six, and low per gallon Fuel Cost $ etc. definitely NOT MPG, overheating and cracked Heads which we now know should have been the concern going Lower than 3.54 to 1 ratio, even the 3.31 like on V8's, might have been ideal for a Six.
            IMO, the bottom line is the Original 3.73 does not work with this Engine, without Overdrive.
            To make the Engine live you can't keep up with Interstate Highway traffic at 65-70 or more unless you change to 3.31 or 3.07 Gears. You can "Putt" at 45-50 on some roads, but on Interstates today you could Die or cause others to, doing that.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-28-2015, 01:44 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The answer was given very quickly in post #2.
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

The Engineers must have been thinking Performance with the New Long ram intake OHV Six, and low per gallon Fuel Cost $ etc. definitely NOT MPG, overheating and cracked Heads which we now know should have been the concern going Lower than 3.54 to 1 ratio, even the 3.31 like on V8's, might have been ideal for a Six.
              IMO, the bottom line is the Original 3.73 does not work with this Engine, without Overdrive.
              To make the Engine live you can't keep up with Interstate Highway traffic at 65-70 or more unless you change to 3.31 or 3.07 Gears. You can "Putt" at 45-50 on some roads, but on Interstates today you could Die or cause others to, doing that.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yes,as said in post #5 the 3:07 rear gives about a 70 mph range.
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks one and all. I usually go 50-55. I don't have overdrive so...
                  David G. Nittler

Comment

Working...
                  X