Lubricating Wrapped Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Lubricating Wrapped Springs

The springs squeak on my 49 Land Cruiser. As near as I can tell they have never been lubricated. All the wraps are in great shape and the grease zerks are still in place. What is the procedure to disassemble and lubricate and what type of grease should be used.

Thanks
    Dan

Originally posted by 49 Land Cruiser View Post
    The springs squeak on my 49 Land Cruiser. As near as I can tell they have never been lubricated. All the wraps are in great shape and the grease zerks are still in place. What is the procedure to disassemble and lubricate and what type of grease should be used.

Thanks
    Dan

I have 49 Champion that squeaked in the rear spring, it turned out to be the rubber bushing on the front spring bolt.I lubed it after removing it with hand cleaner. On stopped up zercs I have pumped hydraulic oil through them with a porta power pump with a grease nozzle on it.maybe you will be lucky.

Comment

I just pump regular gun grease into my 1950 wrapped springs. I use Mystik JT-6 High Temp red grease. It's a very sticky grease and stays where it's put and doesn't dry out.
      The wrap on my 1950 Champion has a couple rust holes in the tin, so I'm still looking for a better pair. My Motor's book says 49 and 50 Champion only.

Comment

Working...
      X