PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Channel TONIGHT May 26, 2015

jg61hawk
05-26-2015, 06:25 PM
I have Comcast here in NJ. Channel 870 is Velocity Channel. The following is tonight's 10 PM Chasing Classic Cars:

Wayne flies to Pittsburg to inspect and purchase an original 1954 Studebaker. Back at F40 Roger works his magic on the car and later Wayne shows it at the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance along with a hot rod. 30 Min. | PG

StudeRich
05-26-2015, 07:22 PM
We get to watch it at 7:00 PM PDT here on the Left Coast, Comcast Channel 663 for Velocity in Washington, it's my Birthday present. :!:

I guess there is little chance the High bidder will send that Starliner here for my second present. :(

6hk71400
05-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Since I am still living in a cave and have to rub two sticks together to make fire, my basic cable channel does not carry Velocity. I guess I will have to figure out a way to get to see the full episode after it has already aired.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

jg61hawk
05-26-2015, 08:32 PM
I'll give away the plot.....it involves an old car and stuff and things.

rodnutrandy
05-26-2015, 08:43 PM
In Ohio velocity on direct Tv is 281, is on at 10pm , set it to tape, thanks for heads up!

Flashback
05-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Looks like 9:00 here in Alabama.

swvalcon
05-26-2015, 09:26 PM
9 pm here and I have it on record just in case I fall asleep in my easy chair.

41 Frank
05-26-2015, 09:44 PM
I have already had my nap so will watch it at 9 central.

benaslopoke
05-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Since I am still living in a cave and have to rub two sticks together to make fire, my basic cable channel does not carry Velocity. I guess I will have to figure out a way to get to see the full episode after it has already aired.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Well, Don't feel left out Mr. Bob,, We got 260 channels and you're better off than me!! Dish went out, it rained, we got nothing !!

redbox
05-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Just watched it. I think it was great. Most of the show was about the car. Very Nice!

redbox
05-27-2015, 05:46 AM
The timing on this Hemmings add is pretty good.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/commander/1743939.html

t walgamuth
05-27-2015, 07:08 AM
The timing on this Hemmings add is pretty good.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/commander/1743939.html

That is a beauty. Price seems very good too.

Pat Dilling
05-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Wow, at that price it won't last long. An excellent buy IMO.

sweetolbob
05-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Nice car from last night. Considering Wayne usually sells what he buys, I'll stay tuned to see what it will bring at auction if he does sell.

Bob

prescottstude
05-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Nice car from last night. Considering Wayne usually sells what he buys, I'll stay tuned to see what it will bring at auction if he does sell.

Bob think about it, on every show, Wayne always tells what the car cost and how much he sold it for...not this time...no mention of how much he paid....hmmm makes one wonder if he could possibly have taken advantage of the estate, naw,
am sure he paid market price, and just forgot to mention how much he paid...right!!

paintim613
05-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Both of these cars are drop dead gorgeous. The white over red color combo used by my wife's father and uncle when they customized our '53 in 1954-5.

paintim613
05-27-2015, 10:37 AM
think about it, on every show, Wayne always tells what the car cost and how much he sold it for...not this time...no mention of how much he paid....hmmm makes one wonder if he could possibly have taken advantage of the estate, naw,
am sure he paid market price, and just forgot to mention how much he paid...right!!

I don't think he has ever said how much he pays for a non-auction car. Just how much it sold for at auction. And, hopefully, we will see it sold at auction in the future unless he decides to keep it.

jimmijim8
05-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Wayne Carini was probably enamored to pay the asking price of that car. I doubt it sees an auction at the hands of Wayne. He ain't stupid and probably happy to have that Stude in his collection. cheers jimmijim

Dwain G.
05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
If you weren't able to see this on tv, you can watch it on your computer for $1.99 from Google or Amazon. Free if you have Amazon Prime. There's also a site called tv.com. I don't know what they charge. It may be possible to find it free on some site, but most of those 'free' sites....aren't.

mbstude
05-27-2015, 01:34 PM
An earlier thread from last year... http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?85168-Look-what-I-found-in-the-garage-54-Commander-Regal-Starliner

studegary
05-27-2015, 02:33 PM
This Starliner stills leaves me with questions (about its originality).
On TV, the dash and column are a blue (probably Aura Blue). This would be correct with a Vienna Blue or Alberta Blue car. A Chadron Red car should have an Aero Gray dash and column, like the red Starlight referenced (post #11) has.
This probable color change goes along with the incorrect C-pillar color "break".

sweetolbob
05-27-2015, 02:46 PM
This Starliner stills leaves me with questions (about its originality).
On TV, the dash and column are a blue (probably Aura Blue). This would be correct with a Vienna Blue or Alberta Blue car. A Chadron Red car should have an Aero Gray dash and column, like the red Starlight referenced (post #11) has.
This probable color change goes along with the incorrect C-pillar color "break".

I'm not very knowledgeable about Studebakers but one judge said that they couldn't find any evidence of a paint break on the car as in a repaint or color change. It's either a very expensive repaint or original. Wayne also went on about how nice the original paint was and how well it polished up. I would think he would know the difference but just passing on info. Bob

StudeRich
05-27-2015, 03:17 PM
In the wrong light the Aero Gray can look a bit Blue, I think it was Gray.
However I noticed the Steering Wheel looked a bit Greenish Gray, which is normal for 61 year Old Plastic that is not painted like the Column and never will match perfectly.

I think the owner may have installed the Wrong Gas door Guard, shouldn't the C/K's get the straight one, not the "L" shaped one?

Did you notice that Wayne removed the horizontal Grille Guard (Ugly IMHO) from the Vertical ones before the car Show?

studegary
05-27-2015, 03:17 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable about Studebakers but one judge said that they couldn't find any evidence of a paint break on the car as in a repaint or color change. It's either a very expensive repaint or original. Wayne also went on about how nice the original paint was and how well it polished up. I would think he would know the difference but just passing on info. Bob

Perhaps I was not clear enough. The paint "break" line that I am referring to is where the red and white meet on the C-pillar.

StudeRich
05-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Perhaps I was not clear enough. The paint "break" line that I am referring to is where the red and white meet on the C-pillar.

I must have missed that, was it not under the Gold "Studebaker" Script as it should be?

I just think it would be hard to believe that this Car had any "Restoration" work that would disprove the 7000 Mile claim because of the unworn, Totally Original Interior.

Just One AWESOME Car! :!:

Pat Dilling
05-27-2015, 04:14 PM
(Spoiler Alert for those who have not yet watched the show)

Given that it passed muster with 4 significant Concours Judges, as well as such a respected collector and dealer as Wayne Carini, and was selected as Best in Class in the Preservation Class, I have to think the pedigree of this car has been established. Also consider that they studied the car in person for quite some time versus a few minutes on a TV screen. But of course folks are entitled to believe what they want.

Silverplate
05-27-2015, 04:31 PM
think about it, on every show, Wayne always tells what the car cost and how much he sold it for...not this time...no mention of how much he paid....hmmm makes one wonder if he could possibly have taken advantage of the estate, naw,

Actually Wayne has stopped disclosing what he pays for most cars in the most recent episodes.

Deaf Mute
05-27-2015, 05:15 PM
I will have to watch for it on a re-run... !'m on the road....anyone remember the episode number?

rowan
05-27-2015, 05:35 PM
I don't see an Episode # - I am looking at the info page on Velocity and it says Episode: Studebaker Time Machine. Nice show and a beautiful car.

paintim613
05-27-2015, 06:21 PM
I will have to watch for it on a re-run... !'m on the road....anyone remember the episode number?

Season 7, Episode 17 as provided by Direct TV on all series episodes on all channels. Just press Info button on remote.

Corvanti
05-27-2015, 06:22 PM
the show will run again Thursday 10pm EDT and Friday 1am on Velocity. probably more this weekend and the coming week.

on this thread and the one Matthew resurrected, i am amused (is that the right word?) of those that still believe it is not "correct". perhaps so, but i'd take it anyday given the prestigious award given at the concours - see Pat's post #26.

maybe someone should invite Wayne to the Int'l Meet in St. Louis for her to be judged.;)

and maybe i'm just having a bad day, but i get so tired of some folks here tearing apart others Studebakers.:mad:

paintim613
05-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Any questions about originality would be answered at International Meet when judged by Stude experts. Possible it could have fooled judges at televised show but my money is on it being a 100% original car. Only thing that surprised me was the hood ornament I thought was exclusive to 53's.

sweetolbob
05-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Gary

You were very clear, I was quoting the Show Judge that used the term "break line" to describe, I believe, a separation between a new and old paint job. I wasn't clear to indicate the difference. Bob

prescottstude
05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
with all due respect, there have been many times that the purchase price and or offers from and to private parties have been mentioned...must have been an awfully good price for wayne to scoop it up...thats ok. but how many of his shows has he helped sellers market their car /cars, to get the maximum price? I t just seems fishy to me,especially with all of the stude guys in and around

Chicken Hawk
05-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Wow, at that price it won't last long. An excellent buy IMO.

I taped it and watched it tonight (Wednesday) but never did see or hear a price. What was it?

Ted

Pat Dilling
05-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Ted, I was referring to the Starlight Coupe they had on Hemmings. A very nice car for less than $23,000. I never heard a price on the Starliner from Chasing Classic cars either.

lschuc
05-28-2015, 01:11 AM
Here is a link to watch the show online for at least $1.99

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/669648/Chasing-Classic-Cars-Studebaker-Time-Machine

I think in a week or two, you can watch it for free

studegary
05-28-2015, 02:11 PM
I must have missed that, was it not under the Gold "Studebaker" Script as it should be?

Just One AWESOME Car! :!:

Yes, it was under the Studebaker script. It went straight back as many do it and not up to the nearest point on the rear window as Studebaker did it. I do have a plausible reason for this. Many of these cars were ordered mono-tone and the dealer painted the top for a customer that wanted a two-tone. A dealer may have done that, as many have done since then. An original copy of the production order would clear up the original color and monotone vs. two-tone questions.

I agree that it is an awesome car. I have just expressed my opinion based on what I saw on TV and online. My opinion may change if I have the opportunity to examine the car in person. If Wayne puts it up for sale, I would most likely consider it and drive over to Connecticut to view it. The problem is that he would probably put it into a high level auction and I won't participate in that (or did he already do that?).

Corvanti
05-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Gary, more than likely Wayne will run it thru an auction - but it hasn't happened yet as far as i know. he probably will since he seems to tire of some vehicles i'd never let go. those that keep an eye on the "high brow auction" ads will probably see it first.

i don't think he ever has said what he pays for a car, but he did say about the '54 that he didn't haggle the seller about the asking price. that concours award will certainly boost the reserve price and demand.

btw: for others that may not know. Velocity Channel is a High Definition channel - only available on cable/satellite for those with a HDTV. they do run snippets of his show on Velocity.com and as stated above, the whole show(s) on pay online service(s).

studegary
05-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Gary, more than likely Wayne will run it thru an auction - but it hasn't happened yet as far as i know. he probably will since he seems to tire of some vehicles i'd never let go. those that keep an eye on the "high brow auction" ads will probably see it first.

i don't think he ever has said what he pays for a car, but he did say about the '54 that he didn't haggle the seller about the asking price. that concours award will certainly boost the reserve price and demand.

btw: for others that may not know. Velocity Channel is a High Definition channel - only available on cable/satellite for those with a HDTV. they do run snippets of his show on Velocity.com and as stated above, the whole show(s) on pay online service(s).

Thanks! The last part is not quite true. I do not have a HDTV (16 year old standard TV) and I now receive the Velocity channel (a fairly recent thing on channel 727 here on Cablevision/Optimum). I believe that it is a HD show, I just do not see it that way.

Corvanti
05-28-2015, 03:56 PM
that's good to know (about being able to receive HDTV channels on pic tube sets). Unfortunately, i have Charter (soon to merge with Time-Warner). i had to get a box for my bedroom tv - a 12 year old 27" RCA - a little over a year ago. HDTV or DVR not available. :(

Gary, i'm sure with your pocket book, you could afford to get a good sized HDTV for under $400.;)

studegary
05-28-2015, 04:14 PM
that's good to know (about being able to receive HDTV channels on pic tube sets). Unfortunately, i have Charter (soon to merge with Time-Warner). i had to get a box for my bedroom tv - a 12 year old 27" RCA - a little over a year ago. HDTV or DVR not available. :(

Gary, i'm sure with your pocket book, you could afford to get a good sized HDTV for under $400.;)

Yes, I could afford it. I guess that maybe it is the Studebaker mentality of not replacing something that is working (not the CASO part). I have a 32 inch RCA TV (over $500 in 1999) that works just fine for what we want. If that fails, I will replace it with a larger flat screen TV. It is sort of like with cars. When I was driving a lot, I bought a new car every nine months to a year, now that I am retired, I am driving two 14 year old cars (65K and 46K miles on them).

paintim613
05-28-2015, 07:00 PM
I taped it and watched it tonight (Wednesday) but never did see or hear a price. What was it?

Ted

As stated by three of us earlier, Wayne doesn't disclose his buying price unless it is an auction buy.

paintim613
05-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Yes, I could afford it. I guess that maybe it is the Studebaker mentality of not replacing something that is working (not the CASO part). I have a 32 inch RCA TV (over $500 in 1999) that works just fine for what we want. If that fails, I will replace it with a larger flat screen TV. It is sort of like with cars. When I was driving a lot, I bought a new car every nine months to a year, now that I am retired, I am driving two 14 year old cars (65K and 46K miles on them).

Gary-Your retirement philosophy on buying cars is one I totally agree with. I replaced our standard TV with a widescreen HD one in '08 because it the old one was just too heavy to move again. After giving away the first HD TV a year ago, I bought a more recent model Samsung. Even though I am not a hard core videophile, the picture quality on this TV is light years better than the previous one. So not being in a hurry to buy will reward you greatly, though I can't imagine much more improvement in picture quality.

SN-60
05-28-2015, 09:43 PM
Good show!.......even my diehard Chevy & Ford friends were impressed with that Studebaker today!.....Great PR for Studebaker! :!!:

rodnutrandy
05-28-2015, 10:09 PM
On right now and again at 1Am on Velocity Channel 281 Direct Tv , might vary depending on what you have!

ed ellis
05-28-2015, 11:05 PM
I mentioned in an earlier thread that I saw the car live and in person at the Boca Raton concours last winter. I have been around 53/54 Studebakers since the early 60s and this car is the real deal. IMHO it's an unrestored survivor. I spoke to Wayne about the possibility of donating the car to the SNM and doing a show around the donation as well as the SNM.

He responded by telling me he had a special needs daughter and either had or was about to place the car in a trust for his daughter (presumably to be liquidated if needed for her care). My sense was he absolutely loved the car and had no intention of ever selling it.

Hopefully he will show the car at the SDC International in Rhode Island next year.

tim333
05-28-2015, 11:15 PM
I stopped watching Wayne Carini after he located a Ferrari that his rich buddy wrecked years back and then sold it the next year as an "original" car after his shop repaired and restored it.

Deaf Mute
06-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Tuesday night & Wednesday morning (June 2 & 3) Velocity will be re-showing the show. I have my recorder set!

SN-60
06-03-2015, 07:32 PM
I stopped watching Wayne Carini after he located a Ferrari that his rich buddy wrecked years back and then sold it the next year as an "original" car after his shop repaired and restored it.

Perhaps what you mean is that Wayne's crew restored that Ferrari back to it's ORIGINAL condition? The history of that Ferrari was CLEARLY explained on that episode!