PDA

View Full Version : Hoping all our Texas and Okie members are ok....

64V-K7
05-26-2015, 01:03 PM
My son just sent pics and videos of his neighborhood in Houston. His area is an island and all's fine, but 3 blocks away, in a Park setting is Buffalo Bayou, bounded by Braeswood Boulvard. There's water from curb to curb, racing down the bayou and the curbs are 3/4 mile apart. Quite a few older stately homes have been damaged. ...

Guido
05-26-2015, 01:43 PM
People don't realize how flat and close to sea level Houston is. When I lived there 30 years ago they were still rebuilding from Alicia. Hope everyone is safe with no significant damage.

JEWELL
05-27-2015, 09:14 AM
We are fine, just wet and if people would follow the "turn around don't drown" rule we would be much better off. Three known dead so far:(

Mark

TWChamp
05-27-2015, 09:36 AM
We are fine, just wet and if people would follow the "turn around don't drown" rule we would be much better off. Three known dead so far:(

Mark

I never could understand these people that see running or even standing water and drive right into it anyway, often to be swept away. Even if they could make it across the road, it sure isn't doing the car any good.

ndynis
05-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Water isn't the only problem we are having right now:
Lucky it was about 10 miles north of my house when seen.

sweetolbob
05-27-2015, 10:50 AM
I talked to my son last night as he lives in Houston. He said he's fine but if your location has the term "Bayou" somewhere in the name it's a bad time. Good luck to all. Bob

52-fan
05-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Has anyone heard from Tx Rebel since the flooding?

BobPalma
05-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Has anyone heard from Tx Rebel since the flooding?

:) Yes; Barry Hackney must be OK. I send him an item this morning of a non-Studebaker nature (ahem!) and he responded within the hour. 'Didn't say anything about flooding or problems. :D (I.e., if he was knee-deep in water and cleaning up a mess, he wouldn't have time for political conversation. Or come to think of it, maybe he would! :whome: ;)

Anyway, I'm sure he's OK or he would have mentioned something, or would not have been able to respond so quickly to non-essential conversation. :cool: BP

63t-cab
05-28-2015, 08:21 PM
I have seen bits of news of this,and truely makes me sick in the pit of My stomach what these folks are up against !

Green53
05-29-2015, 01:16 AM
Is it true the river walk in SanAntonio is flooded?

Denny L

clonelark
05-29-2015, 05:38 AM
As for Oklahoma it is mostly southern Oklahoma that has most of the rain. More rain coming today for most of the state. Myself i don't live in a flood zone.

TrickyRick
05-29-2015, 09:11 AM
May all their Stude's be parked on high ground.....

62champ
05-29-2015, 10:18 AM
When we Texans get a little big above the collar, mother nature likes to remind us about who is really in charge...

clonelark
05-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Mother nature and Father time run the whole place.

TX Rebel
05-30-2015, 01:13 AM
I am high & dry in far north Houston, at the Texas Studebaker Ranch. We had so much rain & so many mosquitoes as a result
that about all I could do most of this week was stay indoors, but the flooding was mainly in the south & SW areas of town.
Being stuck inside, I had time to answer numerous emails & calls from SDC friends all over the country who were concerned I may have been washed away.
On top of all of the torrential rains we have been receiving almost every day this month, we received about 6-7 in on Mon night-Tu morn here, but my sister in Sugarland, south of the big ghetto, got 11" in about 12 hrs.
Thousands of homes we badly damaged, but all of my family members & friends got through it A-OK, AFIK.
My apricots were ruined by the saturated soil which caused most of them to split before ripening, but all of my trees are growing like crazy due to the wettest Spring since about '04, when it rained every day from Mar to first week of June, when the all-summer drought began. We typically get more rain than we need in the early part of the year & then get a drought in the summer heat when we need rain the most. it is good to begin the summer with well-saturated soil & area lakes replenished.

studegary
05-30-2015, 11:23 AM
We had a neighbor family (across the street from our side yard) that moved to the Dallas area last month. I just heard back from them today. They are doing fine. I thought of the greeting that they got to Texas. I told them how nice the young trees that he planted along the road were blossoming/blooming/flowering. He said that they miss Spring here.

TX Rebel
06-01-2015, 01:02 AM
Your former neighbors will find that the Texas winters are very easy to adjust to. Spring comes in early March here & we are in Summer when Spring arrives in the North.

unclemiltie
06-01-2015, 08:32 AM
Got this from my cousin in TX

JEWELL
06-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Got this from my cousin in TX

Not so far from the truth Milt;)