1951 Business Coupe - David Carter's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Business Coupe - David Carter's

For those who remember David Carter (which I know many do outside of the old forum) formally of San Jose, CA, his last project, from 10 years ago, a 1951 Business Coupe, is now for sale out of Greenville, S.C. on fee-bay. I can attest to the outstanding quality of his work and documentation (he keeps during his re-builds), since he also did my 1953 Champion, 2 door Sedan, Charlene, back in the early 2000's.

So take a peep, at the listing, and see the pictures of the work he does!

It appears to be a nice resto-mod.
    The problem is to find someone that wants one modified just like that and also spend in excess of $20K for it (I know - it would cost more to build it).
    I also have problems with the 4 million miles ("4000K miles") that he drove it and "breaks".
    I wish him well with it and hope that he finds the individual that appreciates it that much ($20K).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I know the car well or at least I did when it was here in California, in fact parts came from my shop and Dave spent a lot of time there and checking things on a 51 commander 4 door I had in the yard.
      Dave is a person that only knows one way of doing things ( the right way) He paid good money when he bought the coupe in the first place and a lot more until project was done , my guess a lot more than the BIN on e-bay. I hope he get what he is asking someone is going to get a very nice car.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        For those who remember David Carter (which I know many do outside of the old forum) formally of San Jose, CA, his last project, from 10 years ago, a 1951 Business Coupe, is now for sale out of Greenville, S.C. on fee-bay. I can attest to the outstanding quality of his work and documentation (he keeps during his re-builds), since he also did my 1953 Champion, 2 door Sedan, Charlene, back in the early 2000's.

So take a peep, at the listing, and see the pictures of the work he does!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-B...m=301643864071
        Glen I remember when Dave did the 53 sedan in fact he bought it from me and did a wonderful job with it and as always is the case more spent then received when selling.......Bob
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Like Bob, I knew Dave's car when he was building it in California and after he finished it before he moved east. It is flawless both mechanically and cosmetically. In addition, Dave is a super nice guy and as honest as they come. If you are interested in the car, talk to him.

I would have liked to have done the eBay listing for the car. However, Gary, I would probably make more than 2 typos .
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Really nice looking car and I wouldn't mind owning it. If I was going to take one that far apart for a rebuild to a Commander I would have used a Commander dash, but I guess most people who don't have a 51 or 52 Studebaker wouldn't know the difference.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks Bob and Dick, for those nice comments, I'm sure David would appreciate them. When turning over Charlene, his 1953 2 door sedan, to me, in July of 2003, he went over all the details, just to make sure I was happy with the entire transaction, which I was. As we have this poll going that sees if we want a sub forum for modified or not. Needless to say, Charlene was modified, in a few ways, minor though, because he was doing her as he wanted. 1st was the paint color respray. Instead of repeating the original "Coral Red" over "Ivory Mist," David went with just the "Ivory Mist," and needless to say, though as he told me, he had some 2nd thoughts, until he saw the final results. It was outstanding (see photo below)! Next on the list was the metal dash, it wasn't repainted in the "Loma Grey," as it was at the factory, David chose a better grey, "U.S. Battleship Grey." The last major item, was the upholstery, since the original fabric was a bit tattered, David chose a nice blue Naugahyde, with fabric inserts, reminiscent of the 1953 era type. Yes he also installed seat belts, front and back, and went to radial tires with the era appropriate, white wall tires. After bringing "Charlene" home, we took her to the 2003 Pacific SW Zone Meet, held at Barona (just east of San Diego) and got 1st place, in the 1953 to 1958 Post WWII, era sedans. David loves the work that he has done on each of his project vehicles, modified or not, as he was doing, as noted above, them the way he wanted them to be, as with the 1951 Bus. Coupe now listed on "fee-bay."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Charlene.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1697069
              "Charlene" a 1953 Champion Deluxe 2 door
              sedan exterior by David Carter

I can say David has another project these days, not a Studebaker, but a 1971 Karmann Ghia that he's converting to an electric vehicle.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by glen; 05-26-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I remember Charlene also. I remember visiting Dave when he lived in the condo in San Jose and did that car in a one car garage . He is a perfectionist and did gorgeous work on that one too. You are lucky to own it.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

very nice! i hope the sale price goes way over the BIN.
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Hope i live long enough to do my 51 Business coupe that nice, It will have a lot of small changes, Like the 52 steering wheel David used I'm also going to use 52 tail lights, a 50 bullet nose 51 grille. Mine will be an automatic with a 66 rearend. Engine is still up in the air SBC or a modular 4.6 ford. I have a crate SBC in the house waiting on one of my projects. Color will probably be the original 1951 Aqua Green.
                    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Hi folks, been a few days since I checked in to the forum. Been involved in a bunch of (non) Studebaker project work. I saw this thread and had to comment. I don't remember how many years it has been, but not long after I completed the restoration of my '48 Business coupe, I took it to a local charity benefit show. To my surprise, not long after I arrived, here comes David driving that gorgeous '51. I think he was equally surprised. Of all things, as rare as they are, two Studebaker Business coupes show up at a small S. C. town car show. We had a great time showing my factory stock restoration beside his excellent custom. It was a great opportunity to show what they "were," and what "could be."

Among the dignitaries in attendance that day were legendary NASCAR drivers, David Pearson, Bud Moore, and Cotton Owens. We had a blast conversing with these guys and discussing our cars with folks that day. Although we don't live far apart, apparently, we don't travel close. I've only caught a glimpse of the car a couple of times since that show. Mostly, when I've driven by a cruise-in when not participating.

I can attest to the quality of the work as others have stated. My impression of David is that of an unpretentious, genuine soul. A craftsman who enjoys his creation, takes pride in his work, and does not obnoxiously seek praise for his finished work. The finished project speaks for itself. I'd love to drive over and pick this Coupe up for myself. Only...I'm about 28 grand short... for now.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Thanks Bob and Dick, for those nice comments, I'm sure David would appreciate them. When turning over Charlene, his 1953 2 door sedan, to me, in July of 2003, he went over all the details, just to make sure I was happy with the entire transaction, which I was. As we have this poll going that sees if we want a sub forum for modified or not. Needless to say, Charlene was modified, in a few ways, minor though, because he was doing her as he wanted. 1st was the paint color respray. Instead of repeating the original "Coral Red" over "Ivory Mist," David went with just the "Ivory Mist," and needless to say, though as he told me, he had some 2nd thoughts, until he saw the final results. It was outstanding (see photo below)! Next on the list was the metal dash, it wasn't repainted in the "Loma Grey," as it was at the factory, David chose a better grey, "U.S. Battleship Grey." The last major item, was the upholstery, since the original fabric was a bit tattered, David chose a nice blue Naugahyde, with fabric inserts, reminiscent of the 1953 era type. Yes he also installed seat belts, front and back, and went to radial tires with the era appropriate, white wall tires. After bringing "Charlene" home, we took her to the 2003 Pacific SW Zone Meet, held at Barona (just east of San Diego) and got 1st place, in the 1953 to 1958 Post WWII, era sedans. David loves the work that he has done on each of his project vehicles, modified or not, as he was doing, as noted above, them the way he wanted them to be, as with the 1951 Bus. Coupe now listed on "fee-bay."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44209[/ATTACH]
                        "Charlene" a 1953 Champion Deluxe 2 door
                        sedan exterior by David Carter

I can say David has another project these days, not a Studebaker, but a 1971 Karmann Ghia that he's converting to an electric vehicle.
                        Glen, I was at the PSWZM at Barona and did talk to you then about the car, I think I surprised you when I said Dave Carter sure did a fine job on this 53 sedan. since no one down there knew who Dave was. I don't remember what price it was that I sold it for to Dave but when he saw it he had to have it and bingo it sure turned out to be a very nice car, hope you enjoy it for a long time......Bob
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Working...
                        X