PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: 3 speed overdrive troubles

Bud Horn
05-23-2015, 06:23 PM
I have a 51 commander, the tranny doesn't seem to be in overdrive but when the throttle is released the car seems to go into neutral.When the throttle is pressed it seems to engage again. Is this normal for overdrive?

/

6hk71400
05-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Sounds like free wheeling to me. There is another thread on overdrive about the kickdown switch which has some excellent diagrams and suggestions about getting the overdrive working. The solenoid is not engaging the overdrive when the engine free wheels.

Hope this helps some and best of luck.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

TWChamp
05-23-2015, 08:35 PM
When I bought my 1950 Commander, the overdrive did the same thing. I had to take the cover off the overdrive relay and clean the contacts. Seems the little old lady I bought the car from only drove it once a week to the grocery store and once a week to church, and never drove faster than 30 MPH, so the contacts never closed.

Do you have the overdrive lever PUSHED IN, so it's in the overdrive mode? Also check the fuse on the relay.

rockne10
05-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Bud,
At what speeds are you experiencing this?

autoradiotech
05-23-2015, 11:42 PM
Also remove the governor from the trans and take the cover off, the small seal the shaft goes thru wears and lets trans lube into the unit and acts like insulation between the points. Clean the points and replace the seal if necessary.

Bud Horn
05-24-2015, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=autoradiotech;922573]Also remove the governor from the trans and take the cover off, the small seal the shaft goes thru wears and lets trans lube into the unit and acts like insulation between the points. Clean the points and replace the seal if necessary.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the info it is leaking oil like a stuck hog. Will give it a try

Bud Horn
05-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks the lever is pushed in when i check for voltage on the govener i hear the relay click so the fuse is good

Bud Horn
05-24-2015, 10:15 AM
It does it going down my drive so its no certain speed

mbstude
05-24-2015, 10:53 AM
It does it going down my drive so its no certain speed

It sounds like it may be working just fine. It will "free wheel" when you have the overdrive lever pushed in, but are moving slow, which is what you're experiencing when you say it feels like the car is in neutral. The overdrive won't engage until you are faster than 30 miles an hour.

Take it out on the road, shift to 3rd, and when you are ready for another gear, let off on the gas for a couple of seconds. You should feel the overdrive kick in and when it does, the trans will no longer free wheel and you'll feel the engine braking. And, the overdrive gear when you step back on the gas. It will disengage from overdrive when you floor the gas pedal to activate the kickdown switch, or slow down below 30 miles an hour.

Think of it this way. It's an automatic overdrive. Pushing the handle in just turns the system on and it's ready to use when you're driving down the road. Most people push it in and leave it there, there's no reason to pull it out unless you're mountain climbing.

TWChamp
05-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Also, NEVER try to pull the handle out unless the tranny is out of overdrive and the engine is pulling, or the car is at a complete stop.

Dwain G.
05-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Rule 1 for new overdrive users: Train yourself to ALWAYS place the shifter in reverse when parking. Reverse is the only gear that will lock the free-wheeling out and prevent the car from rolling away.