Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gas tank sending unit for 64 studebaker cruiser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: gas tank sending unit for 64 studebaker cruiser?

My gas gauge stays on approx. 1/2 full and doesn't wiggle. I'm thinking its a gas tank sending unit. Where would I look for that item? thanks

The 1549575 Sending Unit is the New replacement unit, as always; http://studebakervendors.com
    is your friend and "Go To" place.

However all you really may need is a New Float, the original is a Cork which has lost it's Shellac coating from the Alcohol in our Fuel and has partially sunk. This is the CURE!

StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks for the lead. I went online w/ebay and plugged in the year, car, & model and it said it wasn't compatible. Did I misunderstand your message? again thanks...frisky

Comment

I've had good luck with these in Studebakers...

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Marine...l+sending+unit

You can dial in the length of the rod and make them very accurate no mater what size tank you are putting them in.

Relatively inexpensive also.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by frisky View Post
          thanks for the lead. I went online w/ebay and plugged in the year, car, & model and it said it wasn't compatible. Did I misunderstand your message? again thanks...frisky
          Where on eBay?

What was not compatible? If it was the Float, it's for a Ford so you have to make it compatible by installing it on the Stude. Sending Unit
          The Studebaker Part Number is for '58 to '66 Sedans.

Never depend on eBay's "Compatibility List" for Studebakers, they never know what they are talking about.
          Do your own research in the Factory Parts Catalogs or Studebaker Vendors Websites.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-25-2015, 09:55 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We have encountered problems with senders in cars that have sat for extended periods of time. The problem is occasionally the float but more often the electrical part of the sender corroding up inside causing the sender to give a false reading. I often hear reports of gauges developing a 'memory' and gradually returning to an old reading. I know there are people out there who can fix these but it's usually cheaper and easier to buy a new one from one of the vendors.

Chris.

Comment

remove it and soak in 50/50 Draino/water for 15 min. Clean well. Test on bench. I've done 3 this way.....has always worked. Change float & gasket...

Comment

I soldered a Ford float P/N COAZ-9202-B to my 63 daytona R2 fuel sender, required some bending of the attachment wire but works fine.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
                55 Speedster (in work)
                63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
                64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
                64 Avanti R2 (completed)
                85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
                89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

Thanks for all the information! Your help is really appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
                  X