PDA

View Full Version : Other: Wagonaire speaker ideas needed

rbigcal
05-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Other than in doors and in panels behind rear inner fenders. Where would be a good place to put speakers. I was thinking of using 4" speakers in the front of the rear seat pedestal, but not sure if the covers will interfere with bottom seat cushion when folded forward. Anybody done this or have other ideas. I was going to use 4 speakers, but wanted 2 towards the front someplace.

garrilla
05-22-2015, 09:43 PM
For good stereo imaging the speakers need to be in front of the front seat. The bottom of the doors are a good option with coaxial speakers that have a tweeter that can be aimed upwards. Component speakers with the tweeter mounted higher in the door would sound even better. The kick panels would be best but that takes quite a bit of fabrication to make speaker pods. Two 4" speakers can be mounted in the center dash 4X10 grill with a little fabrication involved. There are also some satellite speakers that look like round AC ducts that mount left and right under the dash. Subwoofers should also be considered to add some realistic sound and there are some narrow enclosures that can fit under the front or rear seat. Hope this helps and I highly recommend the Retro-Sound radio from Crutchfield as an in-dash replacement.

jimmijim8
05-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Get a couple of those non powered spealers for a computer; Hang them under the dashboard. cheers jimmijim

Quentin
05-23-2015, 07:23 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Undercover-1-Speaker-Enclosures-by-Custom-Autosound-Compact-pair-120-watts-e-/221195892726

That link may or may not work..... alternatively, enter "Undercover 1 Speaker Enclosures" by Custom Autosound Compact, pair 120 watts in your e-bay search window. This will fit on your kick panel passenger side, but might be too tight a squeeze for your feet drivers side. ($119)
Another option is recent technology , very small speakers that are only about " for 100watt. I will try and find the link
"Amplified Sound Experience "The System 1" Speaker System by Custom Autosound" Same people. Ebay store is called stereosolutions. This one is $289. Has amplified woofing also, picture below.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/vintagevibes/The%20System/TheSytemIII-1.png?t=1356027397Enjoy!

jackb
05-25-2015, 10:35 AM
make sure you've attended to all rubber seals around the doors and window channels... and sound proofing on floor & roof. Once you stop the whistling....away you go..!

StudeRich
05-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Is there a problem with the Factory Center of Dash and the Rear Quarter Panels for the Stereo Speakers in Both of the Panels the Factory used for the one Right side Rear Speaker?

stude dude
05-25-2015, 05:21 PM
We have a template for the factory rear speaker location on Wagonaire models if anyone ever needs one.

Chris.

garrilla
05-25-2015, 08:36 PM
Is there a problem with the Factory Center of Dash and the Rear Quarter Panels for the Stereo Speakers in Both of the Panels the Factory used for the one Right side Rear Speaker?
Would you want to go to your favorite musicians concert and listen with the speakers in those locations? The whole concept of enjoying music is emulating the concert experience! I have plenty of experience in car audio and most factory installations are seriously lacking in realism. If you're not into enjoying music why bother commenting on something that you appear to lack the knowledge of. The OP seemed to be interested in improving on what the factory offered.

StudeRich
05-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Really? are you sure rbigcal is a Classical Music Concert afficionado?

63t-cab
05-27-2015, 07:41 AM
Are You sure He is not :confused:

Corvanti
05-27-2015, 07:33 PM

come on, Rich! i just finished listening to a Pink Floyd "concert" cd on my 'cave audio equipment.:cool:

what one puts in a car depends on how much an audiophile one is - plus how much $$$ to make it so, and your hearing ability. if you mainly listen to AM talk radio (not there is anything wrong with that), OEM type and size speakers should be fine.

i'll probably just go with my "Smart Phone" and Bluetooth speakers in the '51.

if my '51 was 12 volt, and i had the $$$, i might go with a "Secret Audio" system, like this: http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/Secretaudio-SST.html?st-t=google-Secret_Audio_Radio&gclid=CMG1-pWY48UCFYE8gQodXXMADQ

here's some newer ('58+) radios for Studebakers: http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/Studebaker-Radio.htm

(http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/Studebaker-Radio.html)

garrilla
05-27-2015, 07:40 PM

Just as you have many valid points on everything "old" Studebaker many of us have valid contributions in other areas of this hobby. Perhaps you at times could learn to show a little restraint in your comments.

rbigcal
05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Ok guy's before you're ready too kill each other:eek: . No I don't do classical, more like late 60's and early 70's classic rock and some "outlaw country" lol. I put in the custom autosound budget model, which is supposed to be 200 watt I believe. I was just going to put in 2 speakers at first, but thought might has well do 4. I was thinking on 2 in the rear quarters, but was pretty much looking for ideas on front speakers. I have brand new NOS door panels to go in this car so I sure as hell am not going to "butcher" those up. I didn't think kick panel speakers would work because of parking brake pedal. I had the idea of that box area under rear seat, but sure if they will interfere with bottom seat cushion movement, I would have to temporarily reassemble the bottom cushion assy. This car is undergoing a total resto pretty much, so it is still in assembly stage as my bank account slowly dissappears ! I don't want to spend another small fortune on stereo speakers, but at least have some that are not going to sound like the old soup can telephone :D I know they would be better more forward, but these studes don't leave many choices since the kick panels are single wall. I even thought about fabricating metal pods where the back of speakers would be inside of fender and waterproof, but really didn't want to go that far

garrilla
05-27-2015, 08:41 PM
If the new door panels have carpet on the bottom, that can be replaced with acoustically transparent carpet and 5 1/4 coaxial speakers mounted behind that. The kick panel pods I mentioned can be made with MDF and then fiberglassed over. A small component pair with 4" woofers could be mounted there and sound good. The emergency brake could be spaced out or modified to work. I previously mentioned mounting 2 4" coaxial speakers in the center dash opening and these could be aimed left and right to reflect off of the windshield to give some stereo effect. You'll definitely need that subwoofer for base output and since base signals are non-directional it doesn't matter where it's located.

8E45E
05-27-2015, 08:45 PM
I posted here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?17394-Ultimate-Wagonaire!&highlight=cessna the factory location of the rear speaker in a Wagonaire.

Craig

Corvanti
05-27-2015, 08:52 PM
"Ok guy's before you're ready too kill each other"...

don't worry about that - Rich is one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum and i have a lot of respect towards him.

i do wish he'd use the "emoticons" :):D;):cool::woot: when he's joking around, and try to be a little more tactful.:) but he's not the only one like that.:whome:

i've seen some dual cone stereo speakers that fit in the dash where the original speaker was mounted. but i've never heard them and would wonder if the separation of right and left would be enough in that small space...