suggestions needed: chroming a stock air cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions needed: chroming a stock air cleaner

hi ,I want to chrome my stock air cleaner, I want to keep my 64 cruiser original as possible. I need to find out if there is a place around my area [Addison il. ] I found a place in villa park il. but they wanted 250 dollars, I told them I was not rechroming a bumper I would go 100 dollars, he said sorry. anyone have a idea. thanks in advance.

"Keeping it as original as possible" and "chroming the stock air cleaner" kind of go against each other, don't they?

As far as price.. Good chrome plating is not inexpensive.

Comment

I've got thousands in chrome plating done on my Packard, and have more to go!
      Wish I had asked Ed Reynolds about having the front bumpers for my Packard before spending money on replating!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Is this is for a 2bbl or 4bbl?

Snorkel?

if 4bbl, Why not just go with the repro R1 air-cleaner form SI?

I'm not a fan of chroming an air cleaner that has a snorkel. I would however, just chrome the lid, and the rest semigloss black

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          "Keeping it as original as possible" and "chroming the stock air cleaner" kind of go against each other, don't they?

As far as price.. Good chrome plating is not inexpensive.

I agree, and would just paint it as original. Save your money for other needed parts.

Comment

air cleaner

hi,i posted earler what im about bring up but it never appeared on the forum,i don't know what I did wrong I'm new at this. anyway I wanted to chrome my stock air cleaner on my 64 cruiser,i know I can buy a after market air cleaner,but I wanted keep it stock looking there is a shop in villa park,illinois,[ I live in Addison Illinois ] the shop wanted charge me 250.00 dollars,i told them I didn't want a bumper rechromed they said sorry,thats the price,does any one know of a shop near my area? thanks in advance.

Comment

Here you go.. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ck-air-cleaner

Comment

Your other post did appear. It is in the General Studebaker-Specific Discussion section.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Check their work closely...that just might be a good price..!
                  Good... chroming is tough to come by these days and when a good shop pops up, they know it and charge accordingly. Part of the problem, is the chemicals that "they" have to buy and the prep. that they have to do before putting the parts into que.

I'd go back and ask to look at some of their work.
                  I paid almost $300 to chrome a 59 Lark grill and this was 6 or 8 years ago..!

I know of two or three "chrome shops" in the Los Angeles area, but I'd save my money and only go to one..!

Just one opinion...

Mike

Comment

ok you talked me into it I will sand it down and paint it. thanks to all you guys.

Comment

If you're talking about Villa Park, I assume you went to Courtesy Metal Polishing. I can't speak for their quote, but I've used them for years, and they do very nice work. Their specialty is plating parts for antique coin-op machines like slot machines, jukeboxes, and soda machines, so they really know what they're doing with weird castings made from aluminum or pot metal. I do know that if you go in person and have the part already stripped, cleaned, and ready to go it makes a real difference in the pricing.

For an air cleaner you might want to check into the new chrome powder coatings. They're getting to be very close to real chrome.
                      ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

Comment

Smart move. Put a nice paint job on it and any decals it might have, and it will look great. I recently looked at a Studebaker with a complete redone front end chome job, and the prep work looked like it was done by using a 6" angle grinder. They destroyed every piece on the front of the car.

Comment

Merged the two disparate threads

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X