drag link differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: drag link differences

I'm putting a Ross steering box from a '62 Hawk on Buttercup. There's more steer to the left than there is to the right.
    My question is, is the drag link shorter on '62 Hawk than the one on a '55 coupe. Both, none power.

Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 10-29-2017, 04:10 PM. Reason: added pic
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't all 62's use a saginaw box? That might be the difference but I am not sure. My 55 has power steering which is the heavy saginaw system. I thought the change took place in 1961 to the saginaw system. I think early champions 53-55 also used saginaw box.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

Bob: Only Lark-types went to the Saginaw steering box in 1961...and to the end. Hawks kept the Ross box through their end.

Jerry: The part number on the reach rod changed for 1957 and later models, but I don't know why. The "drag link" (reach rod) is P/N 1542005 for 1957 and up, but 533060 for 1955 C-K only. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Bob: Only Lark-types went to the Saginaw steering box in 1961...and to the end. Hawks kept the Ross box through their end.

Jerry: The part number on the reach rod changed for 1957 and later models, but I don't know why. The "drag link" (reach rod) is P/N 1542005 for 1957 and up, but 533060 for 1955 C-K only. BP
        Thanks Bob, you too Bob.
        That's good info to know, but that doesn't tell me what I need to know.
        That's okay. I have a torch and a welder. I'll make it work.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Thanks Bob! I am still learning new things everyday which is a good thing. Bob, I know you have been writing columns and lots of stuff, but when are you going to publish a book? With the recent passing of Bill Cannon we need someone to document all things Studebaker. Just your personal musings would be valuable.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

Jerry, Speedway motors catalog can furnish all "Bits" needed to build a custom length reach rod, including tie rod ends.Doofus

Comment

Jerry, check out this thread.

I had the exact same problem. My buddy got me a reach rod from a GT Hawk that was 19 1/2 long. The book said I needed an 18 1/2 but I could not find one. I used a tie rod from an old Ford from my local U-Pick It that worked fine. Details on the link above.
              Bill
              http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
              sigpic

Comment

Most relevant Studebaker info is found here

Comment

Jerry, what you really need to find is a Saginaw box from a Champion coupe. Far superior to the Ross in terms of steering effort. Dick Steinkamp got one from me for his S2D '53 custom, and he was very pleased with it.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                    Jerry, what you really need to find is a Saginaw box from a Champion coupe. Far superior to the Ross in terms of steering effort. Dick Steinkamp got one from me for his S2D '53 custom, and he was very pleased with it.
                    Thanks Gord.
                    This '62 Ross box isn't the same as the '55 Ross box. That's one reason I'm using it. Another is the fact that it came from a 4 speed car and Buttercup will have a 3 speed OD W/ a Jeep gear shift. So I don't need the gear shift mechanism in the column.
                    Is the '62 Ross box inferior to the Saginaw?
                    I could even use a Saginaw box from a Lark since I'm doing some radical stuff to the column on the opposite side of the fire wall from the box and only need the bottom 12 inches of the mast jacket and steering post.
                    Maybe even one of those quick ratio Avanti boxes I read about in another thread. I didn't even know there was such an animal.
                    More about the radical modifications to the steering after I get a little farther along with the planning and fabrication.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                      Thanks Gord.
                      This '62 Ross box isn't the same as the '55 Ross box. That's one reason I'm using it. Another is the fact that it came from a 4 speed car and Buttercup will have a 3 speed OD W/ a Jeep gear shift. So I don't need the gear shift mechanism in the column.
                      Is the '62 Ross box inferior to the Saginaw?
                      I could even use a Saginaw box from a Lark since I'm doing some radical stuff to the column on the opposite side of the fire wall from the box and only need the bottom 12 inches of the mast jacket and steering post.
                      Maybe even one of those quick ratio Avanti boxes I read about in another thread. I didn't even know there was such an animal.
                      More about the radical modifications to the steering after I get a little farther along with the planning and fabrication.
                      I helped a friend of mine adapt a 61 Lark saginaw to his 58 Silver Hawk. We found one at a wrecking yard in Casa Grande and this box was solid. Even so, he went ahead and had it rebuilt for around $100.00. I like driving Larks with the saginaw and not at all tricky to adjust where the ross will ether bind with a little turn or be sloppy loose. All he did was weld on the shaft to the correct length to fit the Hawk. He has been pleased with it. I think he got the information somewhere on the procedure but not sure where. If you would like I can email him to find out.

Anyone else weigh in on the saginaw/ross question?

Bob Miles
                      Tucson AZ

Comment

Saginaw trumps ross every time! after years as mech on all makes and lots of stude exp JMHO, Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                          Thanks Bob! I am still learning new things everyday which is a good thing. Bob, I know you have been writing columns and lots of stuff, but when are you going to publish a book? With the recent passing of Bill Cannon we need someone to document all things Studebaker. Just your personal musings would be valuable. Bob Miles
                          Thanks, Bob, but I doubt that I'll ever do a book. I enjoy writing and spent almost nine years full-time in the book publishing business at The Howard W. Sams & Co. and its Bobbs-Merrill Educational Publishing subsidiary, and really don't have any interest in tackling my own.

Lots of writing to do in however many years I've got left (I'm 69), but not a book. I'll stick with Turning Wheels articles, The Co-Operator, and whatever they want me to do at Hemmings Publications.

Thanks again. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                          X