PDA

View Full Version : GT leaf springs whats the diff?

wlfrench
05-20-2015, 11:17 AM
After finally getting to drive my 62 GT more than just around the block, I have come to the conclusion that the rear end needs a little help.:( I feel like I'm driving up hill all the time and she tends to wallow a bit. The front springs were replaced by the previous owner but my guess is that the rear leaf springs are the ones she left South Bend with back in 62. I wanted to either add a leaf to both sides or replace the old ones with the HD springs from a 63-64 R1,2. Whats the diff between the standard 62 springs and the HD ones? Would adding a leaf to the old ones about equal the switch to the HD springs?

StudeRich
05-20-2015, 01:59 PM
The H.D. Springs have extra shorter Leaves, but I do not know if the 1st. and 2nd. Leaves were stiffer.

I do know that New Stock '63-'64 Hawks even without H.D. Springs did sit higher in the rear than the front, to prevent the driveshaft scrapping the floor tunnel that happened more so on 4 Speed '62's. But I think it was done with Body to Frame shims.

Eaton Detroit Spring makes new correct Springs for your car.

Gunslinger
05-20-2015, 02:24 PM
You might consider composite leaf springs if you want to buy new. They're only slightly more expensive than replacement steel springs and the shipping costs are far less, so overall costs is likely a wash.

I replaced the springs on my Avanti with composite springs from Flex-a-Form...they weighed eight pounds each to ship rather than fifty pounds apiece. They came with bushings and installed with no issues. I've nothing but positive things to say about them.

Just something to consider.

Colgate Studebaker
05-20-2015, 03:00 PM
The Flex-a-Form springs are what I replaced my brothers Avanti's with, and they are great. I intend to use them on my GT Hawks also. IMHO, I believe they are well worth the cost, and they are great people to deal with. Bill

JRoberts
05-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Is this the same company as Flex Form out of Anderson, South Carolina?

52-fan
05-20-2015, 07:35 PM
New HD springs would probably do the trick, but you could add a leaf and see if that does the job. I used coil shocks on my GT years ago, but after adding a leaf on my 52 I like that route.

Alan
05-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Look on the bottom of the smallest leaf, there should be a number stamped on it. 1554568. Those have a 7" + true arch. I have seen instances of people erroneously putting in HD Avanti springs, which have only 3+ inches of true arch.