61 Hawk radio schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 61 Hawk radio schematic

Does anyone have a schematic for a 61 Hawk radio? AC-3086, I believe it is. I'd like to put in an aux input jack to run an iPod or such, but still enjoy that old tube-y goodness rather than a modern power amp. Need to figure out what's the receiver part of the circuit and what's the amplifier part.

Dave

I have it but I am new here and don't know how to get it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by graylark View Post
      If you click on the 4th icon to the left of the right end, it will bring up the "INSERT IMAGE", and you just click on "computor" and find the picture you want to post. The image you click on is a tree in a square.
      Last edited by TWChamp; 05-21-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help TW. I did learn from your comment but I have the schematic in as a .pdf file.

Comment

In general, one can install a SPDT switch on the wire going to the high side (as opposed to ground side) of the volume potentiometer. Then wire both hot leads (right and left) of the added stereo 1/8" jack (or leads to a 1/8" plug) to the unused terminal of the switch. Ground the ground side of the 1/8" jack. In one position the radio will play normally and the other position will play whatever is plugged into the jack. The volume control is still in the circuit.

All these older radios have analog signal volume controls. No fancy voltage controlled potentiometer methods.
          Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Question here. Does the '61 Hawk radio even have tube-y goodness in the final audio stage? Later Studebaker radios were all-transistor. I'm pretty sure that for a couple of years, at least, they had "hybrid" radios, with "space-charge" vacuum tubes, using only 12 volts on the plates, in the front end, and a single power transistor for audio output. Look on the back and sides of the radio. If you see a round puck about the size of four stacked half-dollars, or a slightly smaller round puck with a diamond-shaped base plate held down by two screws, you are looking at the power transistor in the audio output stage. No "all tube" radio will have such a device on its case.

That doesn't mean you can't still tie into the volume control as suggested above, but it may suggest that doing so won't necessarily give you that nice tube sound you were hoping for. And, IMHO, the older tube car radios with vibrators, and push-pull 6AQ5's in the output stage did have vastly better sound quality (and sensitivity) than the radios which succeeded them, either hybrid or solid state.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Graylark, sent you a private message.

Frank, thanks for the tip - sounds like what I'll do!

And Gord, you're right - just looked at the back of the radio and saw a big ol' transistor on on a big ol' heatsink. I'll probably still do this anyway, just cuz it's more fun to turn on the original radio in the dash to listen to something than to turn on the little power amp I currently have discretely hidden under the dash.

Comment

Working...
              X