PDA

View Full Version : LOVE it or HATE it? (New Member, First post)

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-18-2015, 08:51 PM
So I've been sitting back for a couple month soaking up as much knowledge as I can from all of you experienced Studebaker lovers and I can't thank you enough for the details that are available NOWHERE else.

I had the privilege of acquiring this 1963 GT Hawk from my long-time family dentist, a stellar Studebaker aficionado late last year. It had been sitting for at least 15 years in his garage without being "properly stored". After a surprisingly minimal amount of effort, my wife and I have been enjoying driving her quite consistently for the last month or so.

But enough about that!!! I can't wait to get some feedback on the wheels! And for you purists...I spent a lot of time and effort to ensure everything is 100% stock with the exception of the wheels and tires...and of course I still have the original wheels and hubcaps, even the matching spare.

RubyGT

Studebaker Wheel
05-18-2015, 09:16 PM
It is of course in the eye of the beholder but I much prefer the original wheels and tires.

aarrggh
05-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Looks great !
This club needs some spice ...

rockinhawk
05-18-2015, 09:34 PM
I'm with Richard. But you must consider,He and I are OOOOLD!

Lou Van Anne
05-18-2015, 10:19 PM
A "me to" on my part is do here too.
I'm with Richard. But you must consider,He and I are OOOOLD!

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Rockin...I love the disclaimer. Looks like you've got a very similar Hawk in your "Avatar" pic or whatever you call that little pic under your name. How often do you drive yours?

JimK
05-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Maybe not to my taste either, but hey - they are sure to get people talking when you show up at a car show. Then you will also discover the "educational component" that comes standard with Studebaker ownership.

The car overall looks great.

Also - don't be shy with pictures of the interior and under the hood. :)

rockinhawk
05-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Rockin...I love the disclaimer. Looks like you've got a very similar Hawk in your "Avatar" pic or whatever you call that little pic under your name. How often do you drive yours?Actually,The 63 GT is my wife's car.She lets drive it to our chapter meetings every other month and to Church once in awhile, so, probably once a month or so...

ert62 hawlk
05-18-2015, 10:59 PM
welcome---Since you wanted to know---I would not do that to my car!!!!!

dean pearson
05-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Only because you asked,

That's fugly.

IMHO. Nice car tho!

Dean.

Mark L
05-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Welcome to the club!

What brand are the wheels? I don't think I've seen any like that.

8E45E
05-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Those wheels are much too plain for a car of class like a G.T. Hawk.

Craig

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-18-2015, 11:26 PM
They are Detroit Steel Wheels...a Mobsteel company. Happy to be here!!

57pack
05-18-2015, 11:27 PM
Yes! Welcome and since you asked...it's your car and you can modify it as you like.
I personally like the GT Hawks with the original style wheels and tires.
Only thing I would change if I owned a 1963 model is the wheel covers.
Much prefer the 1964 design wheel covers.

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Fugly. And I definitely asked for it!!

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Do you have a pic of the 64 wheel covers? The car came with like 6 sets of wheel covers...bound to be some 64s in there!

rockne10
05-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Mods such as this hearken back to the days of old school street rodding. Like P38 aircraft wheels on '38 Ford Roadsters.

doug
05-18-2015, 11:40 PM
I haven't seen a wheel like those before, very unusual. I just like them because they are so different.

plwindish
05-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Call me old fashioned (I don't care), but I'm not a fan of the wheels. Its your car, Do it how you like it.

studerodder
05-18-2015, 11:46 PM
well, one thing is for sure, if you go to an all stude show you will always know which one is yours!

Jessie J.
05-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Your car, your choice. Only have to please yourself ...and almost everyone else would have something different as their first choice ...but then you are not them.
The rims remind me of 1920's Studebaker Big Six artillery wheels. Think they would look a bit better if they either matched the body color or boldly accented it ...but then that's just me.

drpreposterous
05-19-2015, 12:02 AM
The only thing that really matters is that you like them. That said, to me their very proportions draw attention away from the Hawk's beautiful lines.

candbstudebakers
05-19-2015, 12:34 AM
The all white looks to plane Jane on the white car and so the picture does not really show the shape of the rims, in the pictures they look flat but I know they are not since I have a set of 5 that use the same center cap but also have a a stainless outer ring and slots around the center area, color the wheels might show better just my 2 cents worth.

studeclunker
05-19-2015, 01:09 AM
I like the last picture very much, would love to have a set of tires much like that. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L car! Welcome to the madness.

sals54
05-19-2015, 01:40 AM
I REALLY dig those wheels. I think it makes the car stand out. I like the color as it compliments the car nicely. Your car will leap out at the car shows. Anyone can drive a stock looking 63 GT. Yours looks like it has taken on a flashy portion of your personality. Great choice.
Did I already say how much I love them? Oh yeah, I did. I really love them.

StudeRich
05-19-2015, 02:22 AM
To each His or Her own I guess, but not something I would want on my car.
My problem with them is Wheels and Tires need to contrast with the Car, these Blend with it way too much. A different Color might have worked better.

With the Tiny Hub Caps and way too Low tires, the wheels look too Big.

Also the "Rubber Band" Tires do not work on a classic Car.

If you were looking to make a totally stock looking Car look very "Different', you probably nailed it. :(

Here is yer '64 Wheel Covers on a
Light Colored Car like yours:
43945 And on a darker Color: 43946

Quentin
05-19-2015, 06:52 AM
You have a very "correct" '63 there, not so easy to find. Verrry nice- although I declare my bias as I have a 63 also! If you are not going with the stock wheel trims, perhaps some "period correct" torquestar/Cragar chromies after- market mag wheels from the 60's would show it off better, as opposed to those "Starship Enterprise" discs? sincerely, Dr Spock.

stude-sled
05-19-2015, 07:22 AM
I like them because anything is better than the stock BORING wheel covers.

8E45E
05-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Do you have a pic of the 64 wheel covers? The car came with like 6 sets of wheel covers...bound to be some 64s in there!

Some photos here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?56372-Most-Desirable-Year-GT&highlight=hawk+favorite

and here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?42355-C-K-Eye-Candy&highlight=2010+photos

Craig

rusty65
05-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Like the wheels on your car!! More than anything else because it will pee some people off.Kinda like putting a flathead in a Camaro.Your money, your ride! Drive the wheels off of her and have a blast!

4653Stude
05-19-2015, 08:12 AM
The great thing about the car hobby is the ability to do it your way and show everyone your interpretation of cool. I don't think you need the disclaimer, it's your car. I don't think anyone here would say they are mainstream car guys or we would all have a 32 or 40 ford or maybe a Tri five Chevy. I'm glad we all don't drive the same exact car. That would be boring. My friends and I always laugh at the cookie cutter crowd and have converted a couple of friends to Studebakers. I'm a big fan of the Dare To Be Different category at a car show and I think you did a great job with the figment of the wheels and tires. They sit right in the fender openings and it gives the car a modern kinda throw back feel. I love your interpretation of cool. No matter how cool we think our cars are just remember, someone will hate it and that's ok.

62champ
05-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Has a look about it that harkens back to the 1920s...cannot imagine how expensive those tires are.

Here is a '64 Hawk with those '64 wheel covers:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/shows/Staustown%202011/DSC03664.jpg

swvalcon
05-19-2015, 08:21 AM
About the only thing that beats the stock wheels are the wire spokes.

conrad01
05-19-2015, 08:48 AM
I like them. I also like that they make the car unique and that is what I would go look at if I were at a car show.

ndynis
05-19-2015, 09:00 AM
I don't see the car when I look at it. The wheels draw my eye and I can't seem to get away from them.

EssexExport
05-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Welcome. The wheels are a bit of a shock (never seen anything quite like them before), but I believe they work. Are they 17"?

Of course my first mod was gold colored door pulls from a PT Cruiser convertible:

https://scontent.fash1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1280496_427229230719821_1333996521_n.jpg?oh=8a858cfc97c6b8fc1bc13f4495819bec&oe=55CA6D90

wlfrench
05-19-2015, 09:12 AM
To me, the best looking wheels you could put on a GT are wire wheels. Its your car and you need to do what makes you happy BUT I wouldn't put those on MY GT.

TWChamp
05-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Dare to be different..............keep your Studebaker stock.

BTW, my 1929 Chevrolet has disc wheels, and they would look right at home on a railroad freight car.

wlfrench
05-19-2015, 09:21 AM
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/12/29/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1964-studebaker-gran-turismo-hawk/

JRoberts
05-19-2015, 09:37 AM
I like the solid looking wheels. I think I would go with a small diameter wheel with more tire. As others have said it is your car and you are free to do with it as you like. Glad to have you here with us.

sweetolbob
05-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Eye of the beholder. If/when you pull them off, will you post a picture of the wheel without the cover? I'm curious about the total unit and how it's all held together. Bob

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Essex - They're 20x8 with 235/35/20 tires. Those sure are some fancy door pulls!...it's all about the details!

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-19-2015, 10:27 AM
I like the solid looking wheels. I think I would go with a small diameter wheel with more tire. As others have said it is your car and you are free to do with it as you like. Glad to have you here with us.

Happy to be here! Where are the Eastern and Western NC Chapters based?

Dick Steinkamp
05-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Keep in mind that the majority of posters here are mostly into stock Studebakers. Anything other than stock is not going to get a lot of praise.

In addition, most of us are old farts and not current with what the latest wheel trends are...and we probably wouldn't care if we knew :mad:

Lastly, aftermarket wheels and tires are a very individual thing. The few of us that enjoy (or can at least tolerate ;)) modified Studebakers have our own opinions on what wheels and tires we would put on the same car.

Bottom line...you're not going to get a real good cross section of the hobby giving you input here on your choice of wheels and tires. Don't get discouraged. Consider the source.

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-19-2015, 10:47 AM
I REALLY dig those wheels. I think it makes the car stand out. I like the color as it compliments the car nicely. Your car will leap out at the car shows. Anyone can drive a stock looking 63 GT. Yours looks like it has taken on a flashy portion of your personality. Great choice.
Did I already say how much I love them? Oh yeah, I did. I really love them.

Thanks sal! I figured if the look resonated anywhere it'd be with you SoCal folks! You can actually get them in Red directly from Detroit Steel...multiple sizes of course (their custom backspacing was the only way I could make it work with no rubbing and the proper stance...maybe you even go with a low-pro white wall.

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Keep in mind that the majority of posters here are mostly into stock Studebakers. Anything other than stock is not going to get a lot of praise.

In addition, most of us are old farts and not current with what the latest wheel trends are...and we probably wouldn't care if we knew :mad:

Lastly, aftermarket wheels and tires are a very individual thing. The few of us that enjoy (or can at least tolerate ;)) modified Studebakers have our own opinions on what wheels and tires we would put on the same car.

Bottom line...you're not going to get a real good cross section of the hobby giving you input here on your choice of wheels and tires. Don't get discouraged. Consider the source.

Thanks Dick. I'm thoroughly enjoying the responses. I had a feel for the demographic of "typical" Studebaker owner/poster/etc and have been very pleased with the quality of responses. It's entertaining to get such a myriad of responses as I expected such a polarizing choice would elicit! I figured it would be a great icebreaker for me to get involved with this group rather than just lurking in the background.

StudebakerGene
05-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Tire and wheel technology has changed monumentally in the more than five decades since these cars were produced. That being said, the ride quality and handling is usually so much more friendly that, for some of us, it's simply a no brainier. I have owned countless makes and trying to wrestle a huge hunk down the road with the factory skinny rims and bias ply tires was an exercise in futility at best and even shodding them with radial tires is always a home run. Car looks fantastic!

am not r2
05-19-2015, 11:08 AM
I like it. I like the craigar ss with spinners too....I have a pic someplace with a very nice red Hawk with magnums that looks just right....My hawk stays stock but I am tempted from time to time....the Solid wheels look cool.... good for you, Rich

paintim613
05-19-2015, 11:26 AM
While, as many have already said that the choice is yours, the stock wheels and wheel covers would be my choice. Our very different custom (pics in signature link) looks much better with period correct Stude wheel covers even though some purists still gag at the sight of our car. The fact that you already have yours makes the change easy, though radial tires typically handle better than bias tires. Always good to give it some time before making any changes.

mbstude
05-19-2015, 11:42 AM
I like the look!! Tasteful and different.

But I'm a young guy (25) that generally doesn't like wheelcovers at all.

gordr
05-19-2015, 12:35 PM
My .02 worth? Too much rim, not enough tire. The proportions of the wheels look wrong for the car. It's kind of like seeing an 80 year-old granny wearing stripper shoes. And I really doubt the car's suspension can really use the kind of stickiness that style of tire can deliver on smooth pavement. And I'll bet it rides like a lumber-wagon on rough pavement. There are plenty of custom wheels that look like they belong on a GT Hawk. And reasonably lower profile tires would be OK, too. Torq-thrust mags with 215-70R15 tires? Now we're talkin'.

52-fan
05-19-2015, 01:27 PM
The neat thing about just changing wheels is that it doesn't harm the car and you can go back. If I could afford it, I would like to have several sets of wheels and tires for my car depending on the type of trip or show.

studegary
05-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Your car - your money- your choice.

With that said, it looks like you are just following the current trend. For example, I recently watched three days of Mecum auction. Many of the cars were mostly stock except that they had these oversize wheels and low profile tires. To me, they looked like cartoon cars.

I appreciate some custom wheel/tire combinations, but these are too far out for the era and styling of that Hawk.

The good part is that you can simply bolt on something else and sell these to someone to put on a more recent car.

Studebaker1962
05-19-2015, 02:32 PM
My 62 GT Hawk. American Racing Torque Thrust II. I worked hard to get the back-set and off-set and tire size right. Before and after. Love or hate it as said by Ruby63_GT_Hawk.........

StudeRich
05-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Jim, your '62 looks a whole lot more "Period Correct", even though technically they were probably not available in '62. :!:

ddub
05-19-2015, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=Dick Steinkamp;921474]Keep in mind that the majority of posters here are mostly into stock Studebakers. Anything other than stock is not going to get a lot of praise.
Dick,
This could be a good poll topic. We may not be quite as fossilized as you think.

StudeRich
05-19-2015, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Dick Steinkamp;921474]Keep in mind that the majority of posters here are mostly into stock Studebakers. Anything other than stock is not going to get a lot of praise.
Dick,
This could be a good poll topic. We may not be quite as fossilized as you think.

Maybe;
So Far I got NINE Likes out of 56 Posts, but I would need to delete all of the OP's Posts and then there are those Neutral Posts that did not want to disappoint by saying they do not like them or they had no opinion, even Mr. Steinkamp!

cycledog
05-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Looks good. I like em. But then again I painted the top of my 55 coupe heavy metal flake red. And lets face it Studebaker made some of the ugliest wheel covers known to man.

52-fan
05-19-2015, 04:26 PM
You could put me in the "like" column, but I would not personally want those on my car. It always comes down to the owner's choice.

StudeRich
05-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Looks good. I like em. But then again I painted the top of my 55 coupe heavy metal flake red. And lets face it Studebaker made some of the ugliest wheel covers known to man.

What, you do not like one of the MOST beautiful Wheelcovers EVER made? The '53 to '55 Full Wheel Covers how could you not like one without all the Made and Model Lettering all over it like the Big 3 had?

The 1953-1955 Wheelcovers -just The Best EVER, on any Car!
The Avanti Wheel Cover -Beautiful
The '51-'52 Plain full Moon with the Crest, -very Classy!
The '64 Wheel Cover -very High Class
The 1957 Wheel Covers, both Standard and Spoked Type -very Rich Looking.

All some of Best and well designed in the Industry, and always High Quality real Stainless Steel. :!:

Maybe you just do not like Wheelcovers!

Wheelcovers and Whitewalls is what completed "the Look" of 1950's and 1960's Cars, without either they just look CHEAP.

clonelark
05-19-2015, 05:33 PM
It's different, I love it. Never seen them before. No negatives from me at all, your car your choice. I'd sure like to see them in person.

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-19-2015, 07:27 PM
My .02 worth? Too much rim, not enough tire. The proportions of the wheels look wrong for the car. It's kind of like seeing an 80 year-old granny wearing stripper shoes. And I really doubt the car's suspension can really use the kind of stickiness that style of tire can deliver on smooth pavement. And I'll bet it rides like a lumber-wagon on rough pavement. There are plenty of custom wheels that look like they belong on a GT Hawk. And reasonably lower profile tires would be OK, too. Torq-thrust mags with 215-70R15 tires? Now we're talkin'.

Great simile's throughout! I'm going to struggle to get that 80 yr old stripper vision out of my mind...wow! It actually rides extremely smooth with no rubbing whatsoever. Loved the creative post!

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-19-2015, 07:28 PM
It's different, I love it. Never seen them before. No negatives from me at all, your car your choice. I'd sure like to see them in person.

That wagon would look AWESOME with a set!! Got a pic from the side?

Dick Steinkamp
05-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Dick,

Good idea. Go for it, Don!

StudeNewby
05-19-2015, 08:48 PM
I like the originality. As others have said, they remind me of the '20s. They are not for me, but for YOU...go for it!
Where are you located in NC?

Corvanti
05-19-2015, 09:08 PM
hi! as far as which NC SDC club to join, many join both! I couldn't tell where you live in NC from your avatar or your "about me" section.

generally, many of the members for the "eastern" (ENCSDC) live east of US1 from the south end of NC (Rockingham), and a line north between Greensboro and Durham. the "western" folks may comment that the line is a little farther east, but we both would like to have you as a member!:)

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-19-2015, 09:52 PM
hi! as far as which NC SDC club to join, many join both! I couldn't tell where you live in NC from your avatar or your "about me" section.

generally, many of the members for the "eastern" (ENCSDC) live east of US1 from the south end of NC (Rockingham), and a line north between Greensboro and Durham. the "western" folks may comment that the line is a little farther east, but we both would like to have you as a member!:)

I'm located in Davidson, NC so I would probably go with the WNC, but I like your idea about both! Do you happen to have a link to a website where I could learn more about the clubs in NC, details about joining, and a schedule of events?

Thanks!

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Eye of the beholder. If/when you pull them off, will you post a picture of the wheel without the cover? I'm curious about the total unit and how it's all held together. Bob

Is this what you had in mind Bob?

sweetolbob
05-19-2015, 10:21 PM
Is this what you had in mind Bob?

Perfect, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was just a hub cap or a much larger section covering a standard wheel. I have never seen them before, even though Detroit Steel is about 50 miles from me. I found the website and can picture any number of places they would look good.

Thanks again, Bob

Mark L
05-19-2015, 10:25 PM
I let them sink in, and now I'm going to vote...I like them. Like several have said, it reminds me of the steel disc wheels that started appearing in the 1920s after several decades of wooden spoke wheels. They're different, and they really stand out.

Has a first-time post ever generated this much conversation? Thanks for sharing your car with us.

Corvanti
05-19-2015, 10:29 PM
lots of folks nearby you! both clubs are on Facebook, but here's a link to NCSDC: http://ncsdc.net/

ed ellis
05-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Like the wheels? Don't like the wheels? Who cares? I think I speak for everyone when I say everyone of us is glad to have you, your family and your car in the SDC. Welcome!

garrilla
05-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Love Detroit Steel Wheels! They're a must have for my next project. I'm into having a little more tire on the Studes, probably 18" wheels. The matching color is a great choice!

Andy R.
05-20-2015, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the Forum!
I really like your GT!
I really like your wheels!

However, unsure about this application. I agree that a smaller diameter/more tire would visually balance it more. The 20s almost look like they belong on rails. What you have would look absolutely fantastic on an early 30s hot rod or pickup.

The GT is a very tricky car to "shoe", so to speak.
It is formal and elegant, yet at the same time lithe and swift (visually, in my case). As such it needs some details to fit with the trim level of the grille, rear overlay and trim. Like Bob said, that's a whole lot of white - and I love Ermine White.

I polled here a few weeks ago on wheels for my '62 GT. The responses were thoughtful, and favored the Halibrands by a few percent. Mine was photoshopped, so there was no investment other than 15 minutes of my time. I think I had a better response because the wheel design polled was also a Studebaker option in '63-'64, so many purists were still satisfied. If curious -->http://tinyurl.com/mfovuqq

Whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH THAT STANCE!
IMHO, the perfect Hawk stance is stock at the rear axle, "settled" -1 to -2 inch at front.

Main thing is, they're on there, so drive 'em off and worry about it when the tread is worn off.

One caution: The lateral force capabilities of low profile tires will accelerate the wear on front suspension parts if they are old and worn.

Ruby63_GT_Hawk
05-20-2015, 01:22 AM
Andy - thanks for the welcome and the thoughtful response. I'm with you on the stance. So many people hack suspensions today and throw on air bags or other options...and Studebaker had it straight from South Bend right off the factory floor. I was very pleasantly surprised at just how well the stance worked out.

Very valid point about the suspension components wear rate on the front. All new bushings and other rubber parts are definitely on my short list.

sals54
05-20-2015, 01:33 AM
Thanks sal! I figured if the look resonated anywhere it'd be with you SoCal folks! You can actually get them in Red directly from Detroit Steel...multiple sizes of course (their custom backspacing was the only way I could make it work with no rubbing and the proper stance...maybe you even go with a low-pro white wall.

Yeah, I'm a child of SoCal, but now reside in NorCal. But you're right, growing up in SoCal in the 60s and 70s, we saw all sorts of trends in car styles. I've loved cars my whole life and have fallen in love with a wide variety of car cultures. The stockers are OK, but the customs, sleds, lowriders, highjackers, gassers, sports cars, muscle cars etc. All very cool in their own right. I'm currently in a love affair with the rat rods, but am now moving briskly into the Steam Punk movement. Very wild stuff in the Steamers. If interested, google "steam punk motorcycles" and see the awesome creativity moving in those circles. Its a cavalcade of WOW.
BTW, did I mention how incredible your car looks with those wheels???? Oh, yeah… I did. I love em.

BobPalma
05-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Like the wheels? Don't like the wheels? Who cares? I think I speak for everyone when I say everyone of us is glad to have you, your family and your car in the SDC. Welcome!

:!!: BINGO! :!: :D Thanks, Ed. :cool: BP

clonelark
05-20-2015, 10:17 AM
That wagon would look AWESOME with a set!! Got a pic from the side?

http://i62.tinypic.com/2gy3uo5.jpg

EmersonCollie
05-20-2015, 10:48 AM
If it was my car, I'd keep it stock. But that's just me.

However, since you have both sets of wheels. You can easily blend in with both types of car shows. Both Studebaker and Rat Rod car shows.

oltrknut
05-20-2015, 10:53 AM
I would paint the inner wheel portion to match the car and leave the outer rim the brite white. I do like the wheels total look.

4961Studebaker
05-20-2015, 01:20 PM
It seems there is another out there with a similar taste as you. Enjoy your car.

http://royboyproductions.smugmug.com/Cars/2015-1/2015-Goodguys-Nashville-National/i-vfw9djR

johnod
05-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Since you asked...
I don't like either the wheels or tires.
I like aftermarket wheels a lot, just don't like those.
I never think O-ring tires look good on something that wasn't designed to have them, just my opinion.

But who cares, it's your car do what you like, and have fun.

Studeous
05-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Congratulations on your new car! It really looks slick. Do they make a small outer trim ring for the wheels? It should really handle well with a stock rear sway bar. Welcome to the Forum.

paintim613
05-20-2015, 07:32 PM
What, you do not like one of the MOST beautiful Wheelcovers EVER made? The '53 to '55 Full Wheel Covers how could you not like one without all the Made and Model Lettering all over it like the Big 3 had?

The 1953-1955 Wheelcovers -just The Best EVER, on any Car!
The Avanti Wheel Cover -Beautiful
The '51-'52 Plain full Moon with the Crest, -very Classy!
The '64 Wheel Cover -very High Class
The 1957 Wheel Covers, both Standard and Spoked Type -very Rich Looking.

All some of Best and well designed in the Industry, and always High Quality real Stainless Steel. :!:

Maybe you just do not like Wheelcovers!

Wheelcovers and Whitewalls is what completed "the Look" of 1950's and 1960's Cars, without either they just look CHEAP.

I couldn't agree more with you. The '53-55 wheel covers are not only beautiful and unique, they make a period correct car a true Studebaker. Just doesn't look right without them, in my biased opinion.

t walgamuth
05-20-2015, 08:21 PM
I was ready to like them a lot until I blew up the pics and saw the ultra low profile tires on them. I agree the stock wheel covers suck though. Perhaps a nice set of five spokes in traditional sizes or some of those nifty halibrand mags that are all the rage now.

4E12D
05-21-2015, 12:22 AM
I too prefer the original wheels, but I applaud you on your choice of wheels. I have never seen another set like them. I like that you dare to be different, like most Studebaker owners. To me wheels are the easiest thing to change if a person wants to. In the end, it is your car and you can do whatever you like with it! If those wheels are the ones you love, Roll With Them!

55coupe
05-21-2015, 12:46 AM
Well I was suprised with the look of your car but the more I looked at the more I like it. A new look for an old car.