Suspension Upgrade for Our '53 C Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Suspension Upgrade for Our '53 C Body

Looking for something to replace original suspension. A bolt-on that isn't crazy money preferred. Recommendations?
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

You are going down a slippery slope. Money wise look at spending over $2,000. That isn't crazy, it is scary and the more you get into it the more you want to throw at it to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      You are going down a slippery slope. Money wise look at spending over $2,000. That isn't crazy, it is scary and the more you get into it the more you want to throw at it to get it right.

I didn't think there were any bolt on suspension modifications you could do to a Studebaker (brakes yes but not suspension). There's a complete "weld on" front clip ($2800) plus labor. There's Mustang II cross member and brakes but it's also weld on. I'm getting ready to install a Mustang II on my daughter's Silver Hawk but I'm doing all the work myself so the cost will be minimal ($1600-$1700).
      Unless you're talking about some other type of modification???

Treblig

Comment

Tim,
        What is it about the current suspension that is bothering you? That info may help produce some ideas.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

The Studebaker front suspension is very driveable and roadable, especially with the addition of a rear sway bar and radial tires. You merely have to replace some worn bushings and align it properly.

Something that is newer is not necessarily better, just because it is newer.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy is right!
            I have two 53's one C and a K body, here in central Mexico.
            the front end and rear are very smooth, most of my friends are surprised about this, and I'm talking bad roads.

In the past I was thinking the same, to install a Chevy Monte Carlo front end,
            just get some radial tires that are not too wide and the steering is smooth also.

Comment

Doesn't the "search" function work on this site ?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                Doesn't the "search" function work on this site ?

Mike
                Not very well!
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Depends on the words entered, whether the search is title only or body, and whether the original post had a properly descriptive title.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm glad it's more than just I that thinks the original suspension works just fine. My 1950 Champion was restored 21 years ago with new bushings, tie rods and any normal wear parts. It also has radial tires and rides very well. The first comment from people that have gone for a ride is how nice the ride is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      Tim,
                      What is it about the current suspension that is bothering you? That info may help produce some ideas.
                      Feel every bump, lots of lean when turning, side to side movement. BTW I am using radial tires but have not added rear sway bar. Thanks!
                      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                      jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                        Feel every bump, lots of lean when turning, side to side movement. BTW I am using radial tires but have not added rear sway bar. Thanks!
                        That sounds like it simply needs a thorough suspension overhaul, which will be far easier and less costly than any major undertaking to change it to something for which it was not designed. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You would be surprised at how nice riding a non worn out Stude suspension feels. Go for a rebuild and add power steering and you will be glad you did. I'd rather fix than switch. cheers jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Dave Thibault's heavy duty sway bars front and rear, gas shocks, 6" Ford/Mopar wheels, Moog springs, all new tie rod ends, A-arm bushings, center pivot bushings and it's good to go.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

My '53K front suspension was rebuilt, changed the front swaw bar to one from '63 GT hawk, and added the rear bar from '55 president sedan. 6" rims with radial tires and saginaw PS box from a '57 hawk. It rides pretty well and although the steering is still slow by modern standards (but not as slow as the original manual steering), it handles pretty well I think. Lean in turns is not much and I can take cloverleafs on the interstate w/o slowing down much so can keep up with traffic fine. Only thing I wish was easy to change is the caster. A little too darty on the highway at speed IMO. I've adjusted it as much as possible but could use more.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X