Headliner Installation Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Headliner Installation Tip

I am in the process of installing a new headliner in my 62 Lark, and ran into an issue after hanging the headliner in the car. I hooked the last bow to the clips by the rear window, but as I pulled the headliner forward, the front two bows just wouldn't stay upright. I could get them to stay by using binder clips on the fabric to the window frame, but as soon as I removed the clips to apply adhesive, they would roll over again. So I got the idea to basically make attaching clips on the front same as the back. I bought a few stainless strips at my local Ace. After measuring the distance from the front bow to the header above the front windshield, I cut them to length, bent a hook on the ends and pop revited them to the top of the header where they will be above the fabric. I hooked the front bow in the two clips and everything stayed in place perfectly, allowing me to work at my own pace. I was the able to stretch and glue the front and back without worry. I tried to add a picture but it wouldn't let me.

I was told that you start from the center bow and work your way to the ends. I should be doing this I hope in about two weeks. If it seems to not be working I'll try your way.

Comment

I've read numerous articles for different makes. The bottom line is you have to stretch it evennly. I started on front, then back and then went to center and went up and back. Hardest area is sail panel near back window.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1696875 Here is the picture. The top of the picture is looking up at the header underneath the front windshield. You can see the strips that go from the header (pop riveted) to the headliner bow.

Comment

Working...
        X