PDA

View Full Version : 1941 Champion coupe brings nearly $30,000 at NC auction

Studebaker Wheel
05-17-2015, 01:36 AM
I had the opportunity to place a phone bid on a ’41 Champion coupe that sold at an estate auction in Fayetteville, NC today (Saturday the 16th). I knew the car from back in the mid 1970s when it was restored by Harold and Sara Hendricks of Stump Creek, PA (painted by Tom Shrock). It was driven to the Dallas, Texas Intl meet in 1975 where I first saw it. Harold and Sara had sold the car a few years before they passed away and I believe it was still in the hands of the estate that had purchased it (Raymond and Harriette Treece) both of whom had also passed on. The car was sold at the auction today for $27,000, plus a 10% buyers fee, or just shy of $30,000. Nice car but a 40+ year old restoration and had been stored in a car port for quite some time. There were also two other Studebakers sold there a '53 and '64. Did anyone attend the auction or know who purchased the cars? Just curious.

rockne10
05-17-2015, 01:43 AM
Don't know about the car, Richard, but certainly have many memories of Harold and Sara. In fact, when I didn't know otherwise, I sent Harold money to enroll me in SDC.

starliner62
05-17-2015, 01:55 AM
According to a friend that attended the auction, the Daughter of Mr. Treese Bought the 41. Apparently the two surviving daughters were/are having a feud over the property and had to include the car in the auction. She said that she would keep the car at any cost. It needs a bit of freshening up, but is still a very nice car.
A 53 Champion sold for $7500.00 and in my opinion, was a high price for a car that needed a lot of work, condition unknown.
The 64 Cruiser went for $1100.00. The engine and transmission were out of the car, condition unknown. It has a nice solid body that appeared to be rust free.
A 68 Cougar XR-7 went for $8000.00, been in inside storage since 1977. A very nice car.
A 68 Volvo P1800 went for $4200.00 with rusty rockers, condition unknown.

We spent quite a bit of time ate the Treese's house before the auction, helping to sort many NOS parts that the auction company included in the purchase of the cars. With a 10 to 13 percent buyers premium, a lot of money was spent.

Studebaker Wheel
05-17-2015, 02:10 AM
Thanks Jamie. I kinda thought maybe there was some family issues involved since the price was so high on the '41. Appreciate the insight.

Studebaker Wheel
05-17-2015, 02:13 AM
Don't know about the car, Richard, but certainly have many memories of Harold and Sara. In fact, when I didn't know otherwise, I sent Harold money to enroll me in SDC.

They were wonderful folks. They put me up at their home one night when I was on the road. Of course they and the white poodle were mainstays at swap meets for years. They bought a lot of parts from me back in the 70s.

Debbyrd
05-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Hello, Deborah Byrd here. I Just happened to run across this conversation (isn’t internet wonderful?), and felt the need to chime in to set some of the assumptions straight.

!. The sister and I are not feuding over the car. She is not a car buff and really does not care about owning any of them. The auctioneer suggested the car go up for auction so there would be no controversy over who got it, and everyone would have an equal chance at it should any of the other family members wanted to bid on it. It actually was in Daddy’s will that the vehicles were to be auctioned due to several in the family thinking they were entitled to them.

2. None of the other family members even placed a bid on the car. I was being bid against by a car collector/restorer who is actually a collector in general and does not limit himself to just one make or model. This man had no clue who I was or that I was bidding on my daddy’s pride and joy. He apologized profusely after he found out the situation. There are no hard feelings or animosity on my part toward him. He is also the same person who bid and won the 68 Cougar and the 53 Studebaker.

3. Yes, I wanted this car and would have given almost anything to a certain extent. I was prepared to either walk away with my daddy’s car or have the other bidder Earn the right to own it. I intend to carry on my dad’s love for the car and take it to shows that he loved to attend so much. He took great pride in having and showing this car and he had to give that all up about 2004, his last show, due to his advancing Alzheimer’s disease.

And lastly, the car, as a matter of fact, has been housed in an enclosed building built especially for daddy’s car collection and not under the open carport that was seen in the picture with several weeks of pollen accumulated……just sayin…..

Now, looking forward to my first show and getting to know other people that have the same appreciation for the Studebaker! All advice and mentoring will be welcomed!:)

Studebaker Wheel
05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks much for the clarification on the sale of the Champion. I still have photos I took of it in Texas in 1975 shortly after it was restored by Harold Hendricks. Were your parents the ones who bought it from Harold? I have always loved the styling of the '41 Champion coupes and have owned several. Currently own two. If you have any questions let me know.

studerex
05-18-2015, 03:55 PM
There should be more children that appreciate the parents toys. If you ever need help with the 41 let me know.
studebakerclassics.com

starliner62
05-18-2015, 07:45 PM
I feel that I should apologize to everyone involved. I just going by what I was told and should know better.

Debbyrd
05-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Yes Richard, my parents were the ones who bought the car from the Hendricks. I actually found the bill of sale in his papers and also the 1941 Shop Manual on the car along with the Restoration Log from Mr Hendricks dated 1974. I remember when Daddy bought it. They had been to Penn to an Industrial Arts Conference I believe and Daddy went to see the car. I do not know how he knew of it, maybe through the Studebaker Driver's Club. He tried to trade my mama's brand new blue Buick for it but Mr Hendrick turned it down. Daddy came home but was determined to have that car. He made a trip back to Penn that weekend to buy it. It was his pride and joy for many years of local shows. I also have the trophies he won over the years.

Studebaker Wheel
05-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Thanks. The Hendricks as you may have read above were wonderful folks. I might add that one thing that distinguishes your Champion from most all other survivors are the stainless fender mouldings. In the 50+years I have owned '41s I have seen only one other that have those. They are a rare option that I believe Harold must have had in his parts stock. Best of luck with the car. Hope you have a lot of fun with it as I am sure your dad did.

StudebakerGene
05-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Go get em Debby! I am so glad you ended up with your Dad's pride and Joy. I met your father years ago driving my Champ p/u. He walked around it for quite some time before he nodded an approval. I am so glad you set the record straight!