No announcement yet.

Temperature Gauge - How to read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Temperature Gauge - How to read.

How do I read the temperature gauge on my 52 Studebaker Champion (I6). Where should the normal operation be. See attached picture. Well I will post a picture later, it looks like I can't from my iPhone. Will get on a computer later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1696779Click image for larger version

ID:	1696779

Comment

I got the picture uploaded via my phone. Sorry for duplicates. I cut it off once the gauge gets to the "bar" as I assume it is over heating. I replaced the radiator last year with a mustang v8 radiator, but haven't really driven it much.

Comment

I believe anything within that oval is considered safe operating range. Yours still has some warming up to do, unless your thermostat is opening too soon.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That oval racetrack is the normal operating range, and your picture shows it to be in the low end of the track. My 1950 Champion runs about 190 or so and I have 50% antifreeze, which also raises the boiling point. Antifreeze also keeps the rust and freeze cracks away. I can't believe some people still believe in using plain water.

Comment

The reason some people use plain water is because it cools
            better than antifreeze.

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
              The reason some people use plain water is because it cools
              better than antifreeze.
              But it's only by a small percent, and the rust damage does much to erase that. There's a good reason cars don't leave the factory with plain water.

Comment

Okay good to know. If it goes past the oval and close to the H, shut it off.

There isn't much room for error as they oval to H is a very short distance.

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Just keep in mind the accuracy of 65-year old gauges, senders wiring, is never a given. When the gauge is at the normal warm day cruising position, put a professional quality thermometer in the neck of the radiator. That's the hottest point. While it will be slightly different temperature than where the sender is located, it gives a real number against which to mentally calibrate the gauge pointer position.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

my '51 usually goes up to about 3/4's of the way in "normal driving" - stop & go traffic, a little higher but goes back down when moving.

it is about time for a flush & fill, and check the thermostat for correct operation. i wouldn't think about using anything other than a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. I may drop a new 160 thermostat in her since i live in warm climate area.

also, check the radiator cap for holding pressure.
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Okay, seems like it is running fine. Runs about where the line is on the thermostat. The wires / thermostat are new. The gauge in the dash is original. So I am monitoring via a temperature gauge as instructed above.

Comment

Working...
                      X