What years were 283 engines used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What years were 283 engines used?

Can anyone tell me if Studebaker put the 283 in any of their cars and if so what years and models.

1965 and 1966 Lark types.
    sigpic
    55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by gmannix View Post
      Can anyone tell me if Studebaker put the 283 in any of their cars and if so what years and models.
      Sure. Any 1965 or 1966 Studebaker model year V8 was originally shipped with a 283 "Chevrolet" V8 manufactured by McKinnon Industries in Canada. BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 05-14-2015, 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A Title like: "what years were GM 283's Installed in Studes." would be a lot better title. It is fixable from the "Go Advanced" button.

Only 1965 and 1966 Lark Types built at the Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Plant had the Pontiac of Canada, McKinnon Motors built 283 V8 Labeled the "Studebaker Thunderbolt 283", 194 6 Cyl. and in '66, the 230 6 Cyl. Engines.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That Title got His answer,and then some!
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
            That Title got His answer,and then some!
            AND will never be understood in a search, what about 283's?

We were warned this week by one of our esteemed Moderators to avoid using One Word titles.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Some factory photos: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=McKinnon

Craig

Comment

I wonder if anyone on the Forum can answer this question. If 1964 Studebakers built at Hamilton used Studebaker engines, what happened to the stock of unused engines when they switched over to GM engines for 1965? Did they get sent to a parts depot, or were they simply scrapped?
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

Many Parts from Hamilton Production, probably including Engines, went back to where some came from, South Bend, but in the Plant 8 Huge International Supply Warehouse.

If any of these were left when Newman & Altman took over the SB Warehouse they would have been very quickly liquidated with their "Discount" prices and closeout Sales, first to still operating Authorized Warehouses and Dealers like Frost & French in L.A.

Maybe Stu or someone else closer to the action can verify the situation on Engines.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 05-14-2015, 03:03 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                    I wonder if anyone on the Forum can answer this question. If 1964 Studebakers built at Hamilton used Studebaker engines, what happened to the stock of unused engines when they switched over to GM engines for 1965? Did they get sent to a parts depot, or were they simply scrapped?
                    Remember, John: Studebaker engines for the build-out of 1964 model year Hamilton production were still built in South Bend. Hence, they pretty well had it timed to produce enough engines for that production line and then enough additional service engines for predicted warranty claims and ordinary service stock.

Some of us remember all the engine blocks and heads piled high at the Hurwich Iron scrap yard in South Bend, but they were 232 engine blocks for the most part, and tons of machined 232 cylinder heads. I don't believe I ever saw a full-flow block at Hurwich Iron, which is not to say there weren't any, you understand...but that's where they would have gone, had there been any. BP
                    Last edited by BobPalma; 05-14-2015, 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Not sure where this Pontiac engines came from but the engines I know of were the truck engines .
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Many Parts from Hamilton Production, probably including Engines, went back to where some came from, South Bend, but in the Plant 8 Huge International Supply Warehouse.

Maybe Stu or someone else closer to the action can verify the situation on Engines.
                        Check Bob Palma's post #10 for the correct answer.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                          Not sure where this Pontiac engines came from but the engines I know of were the truck engines .
                          Actually you are correct Bob. There have been many stories told over the years and I've always referred to our engines as GM McKinnon engines. While the 283 is common to many GM cars of that era, the basis for the Studebaker version IIRC were those used for the pickup trucks. They were somewhat different than the Chev versions.

Stu Chapman

Comment

After all these years, I have to wonder if there is a way to verify the rummer that the H.D. forged Crank 283 Truck Engines used by Studebaker were in fact also used in Canadian Pontiacs?

We have all heard many times, Mr. Steinkamp's version of how all 283's were created 100% equal, and some Stude. 283's were even from U.S. GM Plants, but all I have seen had "Canada" cast right in the Castings, so actual proof of which rummer about that and the major difference, the Cranks is correct would be great.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-14-2015, 04:15 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have heard before that the McKinnon 283 and the Chevrolet 283 were slightly different. Could anyone share the details on this please.
                              Tom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X