rear brake shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: rear brake shoes

I learned something today. I know hard to believe but while looking around on rock autos site looking for new shoes for the hawk and checking cross on numbers the rear shoes are the same part numbers as a 64-71 jeep cj-5. They have them in Centric, Wagner, and Raybestos and run from $18.73 to 31.79 a set depending on which brand you buy. These are new not rebuilds and you don't need to send in any cores.

I'am going to do some more digging on this as it shows the jeep also used the dana 44 rear. Maybe the rear drums are the same and other parts. Lots of suppliers for jeeps out there.

Comment

That is good info, please keep us posted.
      Joe H

Comment

That's probably why the rear shoes are still available, while Studebaker V-8 front shoes are not.

The under the floor master cylinder we use is also shared by many Jeeps and other independents. The Jeep connection is what keeps these available also.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The rear wheel cyl. are the same as 61-68 IH scout and a 61-69 Checker. $15.00 new AC DELCO. Fit 60-64 hawk and 59-64 lark.

Comment

RadioRoy. They show they have the 10" fronts for the larks but don"t show it on the hawks.

Comment

The 10" fronts are for the six cylinder cars, are they not? Don't the V-8 cars have 11" front drums/shoes? That's probably why they don't show them for the Hawk. The vast majority of Hawks were V-8s.
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-12-2015, 08:47 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yes! Front shoes for Stude V8's are a rare and precious commodity. If you are put in a position where you have little choice but to scrap a V8, save the front shoes! And that under floor master cylinder was also used on Allis-Chalmers tractors and fork lifts.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

make sure they actually fit hawks. A friend bought a pair online and when he got them they did not fit
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I believe the V8 Front 11 Inch shoes also fit a Checker, but that was not enough to save them from obsolescence.

If these Co's only knew and cared, they would discover that the Jeep/Checker/Studebaker V8 Rear 10 Inch Shoes fit the Front of 6 Cyl. Studes. and both fit all the way from 1954 to 1966!

That is a LOT more coverage than your average Granada/Monarch Shoes but because they are Ford they may keep then for a very long time.

Usually some have the '63-'66 Stude. Automatic Adjuster "Notches" already in them, but if not, it's a very easy fix or do what I do, just put the '54-'62 Manual Adjusters on.

This Certainly is NOT a correct statement: "['60-'64 Hawk and '59-'64 Lark!]"
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's the way they have it listed in rockauto's web site. Not that that mean's anything.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                        That's the way they have it listed in rockauto's web site. Not that that mean's anything.
                        I understand and understood that, it just shows how poor their research was.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

One other brake item that's wrongly listed is the rear wheel cylinders on disc brake cars. NAPA lists it and carries them new as they fit certain Jeeps. The problem is the application guide is wrong. While the wheel cylinders they supply look right and fit the same, they're a bigger inside diameter...7/8" rather than the 3/4" that Studebaker used. Install these and your rear brakes will lock up very prematurely. I discovered that the hard way.

It seems that parts suppliers have combined parts numbers to reduce warehouse inventory of slow moving parts...and mistakes like this are made.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Raybestos shows that their rear wheel cyl. fits the hawk but it does have a 7/8 inside diameter. Centric shows that their bake shoes fit the rear on the disk brake cars. But the 6 cyl have a different # and the disk brake rears fit the 6 cyl fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                              I learned something today. I know hard to believe but while looking around on rock autos site looking for new shoes for the hawk and checking cross on numbers the rear shoes are the same part numbers as a 64-71 jeep cj-5. They have them in Centric, Wagner, and Raybestos and run from $18.73 to 31.79 a set depending on which brand you buy. These are new not rebuilds and you don't need to send in any cores.
                              I checked my old wagner catalog and they all indeed do take a number 326 shoe
                              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                              1961 Hawk 4-speed
                              1967 Avanti
                              1961 Lark 2 door
                              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                              X