X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research of correct V8 head Casting Numbers

Is ANYBODY up for the Challenge?

From this Thread Post #13;

"I think what we need is for someone to spend the time and Money, I would be glad to contribute to that "Fund" to have someone near South Bend research the Part Numbered Drawings to determine the Correct, verified Casting Numbers of ALL '55 to '64 V8 Heads." [added: (as they relate to the Part Numbers.)]

The 6 Cyl. and 232 V8 Heads are not needed and are so limited and simple they can be Guessed."

"Unfortunately all we have are a couple of cross reference from Head Casting to Head Part Number Charts out there on the Net, NONE of which are complete or fully accurate."
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-11-2015, 01:58 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

I'm certainly not close enough to do it but it sounds like a fine idea. I have seen V8 heads in Australia that are not on anyone's list and have been told they don't exist because of that. I can ask my brother for the numbers as he still has some if anyone would like to know. That's about the best I can do.

Len

Comment

OK, Studebaker Racing buddies, this is right in your wheelhouse. Best way is to measure combustion chamber cc of each known--and unknown heads, since that controls the compression ratios. As a novice, I have trusted the lists published on line, but always wondered if the "truck" heads were really the same as R2 heads, even though they carry different casting numbers. Probably won't be of any future value to me personally, but somebody might have need in the future --to keep Studes "stock" or almost anyway.

Comment

Didn't Jim Pepper publish a list of head casting numbers, and their associated chamber sizes?

Comment

The Studebaker Engineering created actual Advertised Compression Ratio is a known factor published in the Parts Catalogs next to the Part Number, so it is the relationship of those Part Numbers to the Casting Numbers that I think is important.

The actual cc's of a given used head will depend on how much if any it has been Surfaced or Ported out, that might be where the correct Original cc's would be good to know for comparison to the modified, measured cc's of "Performance" heads.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
            As a novice, I have trusted the lists published on line, but always wondered if the "truck" heads were really the same as R2 heads, even though they carry different casting numbers.
            1557582 1557580 (*1) 61-64 Std 7.00:1/7.5:1 67.7cc 63V,64V
            Truck & R2
            Greetings from Oz - My car is a 63V, with 582 casting number. Compression ratio is same as above chart. Haven't had the head off to measure cc's, but it appears that the casting number is that of a truck or R2, being the SAME. However, it is neither truck nor R2, just a 4bbl twin exhaust but low compression Hawk! As an Aussie car, the standard rationale is that we got the "truck heads" due to our perceived poor quality/octane fuel. (In actual fact our fuel was fine - still is. We don't appear to have half the issues you guys have with ethanol, although we did have issues in the early noughties with Toluene in the fuel, a paint thinner). These 582 R2 heads are spoken of as rare on the Bob Johnstone site, but are quite common here seemingly due to the this south bend myth about our crap fuel?
            When I pull the heads off, and replace with the set of big-valve nicely eyebrowed and valve chamfered 1557571 heads I have courtesy Dave T (vroom vroom) I will clean up the 582's, insert HD springs etc etc and put on the shelf, just in case I ever think of doing the supercharger thing...or converting my Hawk to a truck. Cheers!

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work for little to no gain.
              I seriously doubt anyone is going to drop a set of perfectly good heads because of a casting number, remember the acronym...CASO...!.
              Beside, at the end / beginning of the year "switch", most anything can happen. A set of lower compression heads be bolted to a non-supercharged, or non-low performance engine...does that make it wrong, or not original ?
              Questionable...maybe, but original to that engine, absolutly correct.

In any case, the current list is plenty good as it stands for most peoples needs.

Mike

Sorry Len, you have a different situation..!

Comment

Working...
              X