1964-66 ammeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 1964-66 ammeter

I have a gauge cluster I'm planning on putting in my 66, but I noticed that the ammeter needle at rest is a little toward the charge side. It's enough that it's completely off the center line, but that's about all. I think when I got it it was in the middle and maybe I jostled it when I repainted the needle. Anyway, is it possible to somehow get the needle to stay in the middle at rest? Does this mean the gauge is no good? Having it off center bugs me.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

You bent it when you painted it. If your OCD is bugging you that much rebend the wire so it centers.
    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
    61 V8 Tcab
    63 Tcab 20R powered
    55 Commander Wagon
    54 Champion Wagon
    46 Gibson Model A
    50 JD MC
    45 Agricat
    67 Triumph T100
    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

That's what I'll do. I do not think I'll be connecting it. I found the cluster that was in the car had massive corrosion on the red wire connector and the lug that was still fastened to the terminal looked like it had seen some heat or something. I also found the thick red wire that is supposed to go to that terminal was spliced to a thick yellow wire that goes over to the ignition switch, I think.

Here are some photos of the mess. Too many splices! That red wire goes to a yellow wire and then to a white wire. Also, the wire for the cigar lighter had two splices in it and then was bundled with several other wires, so I had to cut it again to take the unit out so I could replace the woodgrain panel. Now when I put it back I'll have to add a third splice! I think every wire to the ignition switch has been spliced, as well. I also noticed that one light socket (you can see in the picture) has lost its metal contact to ground. I think I have a good one, but I'd have to splice that in. It's time for a new wire harness, but I don't have that kind of money. But I also now have an idea of the huge amount of work it will be to make this all right again.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0644.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1696719Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0646.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1696720
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Scott, that mess looks familiar to me. My wiring was all cobbled up also. After removing some tape on the harness to make some repairs I found the Yellow and Black wire from the regulator to the ignition had the cover melted off! With all of the poor hacks made to the harness it was an easy decision to rewire the car with a modern fuse box system.
        Gary

Comment

I would start with a new harness. They are available and give you the opportunity to clean up all of that mess and maximise the electrical systems efficiency at the same time.

Chris.

Comment

I would not waste money on a stock harness. I rwwired the 54 in part of an afternoon. On ce you get in ther you will wonder why the factory wired things like they did instead of simply using heavier gage wire and keeping the circuits simple.
            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
            61 V8 Tcab
            63 Tcab 20R powered
            55 Commander Wagon
            54 Champion Wagon
            46 Gibson Model A
            50 JD MC
            45 Agricat
            67 Triumph T100
            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Can I see the wiring diagram for a on-stock harness so I can compare with the stock wiring diagram?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Can I see the wiring diagram for a on-stock harness so I can compare with the stock wiring diagram?
                Scott, here is a link to 63-64 wiring diagram. May be similar to yours.
                Gary

Comment

Originally posted by garrilla View Post
                  https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...wire-COLOR.pdf
                  It's very nice to see it with colors!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    It's very nice to see it with colors!
                    The colored diagram has made it easier for me to map out where the wires go from my Haywire harness with GM color codes. I highly recommend going with an after-market wire harness, it will be a huge improvement over stock one.
                    Gary

Comment

Gary, could you post one for a Stude Avanti??
                      Originally posted by garrilla View Post
                      https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...wire-COLOR.pdf

Comment

Hawklover:

I have one from ClassicCarWiring.com but too large to scan. Found one or two very minor omissions on it, but very useful.
                        Complete basic car included (engine bay, interior and exterior lights, under dash harness, starter and ignition circuits, instrumentation, etc) Original factory wire colors including tracers when applicable Large size, clear text, easy to read Laminated for ease of use

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                          Gary, could you post one for a Stude Avanti??
                          Hawklover, try yahoo images for your year harness diagram.
                          Gary

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                            Hawklover:

I have one from ClassicCarWiring.com but too large to scan. Found one or two very minor omissions on it, but very useful.
                            http://www.classiccarwiring.com/1963...ceted_search=0
                            Good call. I sent away for a poster sized color keyed schematic.And I have my new (SI) harness ready to go.On mine, the red ammeter wire was scorched through the insulation and the tape, and it was green with corrosion.6 of the 8 wires at the steering column were solid green with corrosion when I disconnected them.It's a wonder anything worked!Showbizkid (Clark) has a blog on how he re-wired his '63.Good reading, and I for one learned a lot.

Comment

I have never heard of ammeter wires scorching, but that's exactly what mine looks like. Was this common and why does it happen?

Comment

Working...
                              X