Need Help with 1938 Front Fender Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Need Help with 1938 Front Fender Mounting

Got a call from a friend who reassembling the left front fender on his 1938 Coupe Express and indicated that there was a 1/2" between the fender and firewall. (The bolt is in the wheel well, passes through the fender, and then screws into the side of the firewall quite away below the hood hinge) He asked me if this normal and if there was supposed to be a spacer at this location?

I had to tell him that I didn't remove the front fenders on my 1938 Coupe so I could not provide an answer but would probably be asking the same question in a few days as we are trial fitting my front end prior to painting.

The parts book lists part # 267880 as "spacer, fender to body bracker". Can anyone provide details on what should be present when the fender is mounted to firewall?

Thanks

What ! No response ?
    Getting an answer for these rare prewar cars is always tough .
    Theres no spacer on mine but that doesnt mean its right .
    The front end has been off before and coulda been slapped together wrong .
    Keep checking around ......

Comment

I believe it is possible to move the body around some on the frame. Perhaps he can slide his forward to meet the fender.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Go to the Antique Studebaker forum on the AACA site.
        Prewar Studes are their specialty.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Is this the area you're talking about?

No spacers between the fender and the cowl.

This car had Cathedral headlight fenders added in the 60s. Funny that the paint on those is a lot worse than the original paint on the rest of the car.
          Last edited by mbstude; 05-17-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X