PDA

View Full Version : Production Order for 62VI4559

wlfrench
05-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Here's an image of the PO for my 62 GT. Really not that much there. I know that many cars came without the clock or tach as they were optional. My car has both, is that on this PO or would it even show there? I guess they could have been added later either by the dealer or later on. Also, it has a replacement motor. The one in the car now is P96721.

StudeRich
05-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Wow, that was a very bare Hawk!
No Climatizer, Radio, Rear Speaker, Antenna, Tinted Glass, nothing. :ohmy:
I am pretty sure to sell this Car, the Dealer would have at least added a Climatizer.

I am pretty sure later owners who Customized the Car installed a Dash Panel from another Car during restoration.

The problem with adding Clocks and Tachs. to these GT Hawks is that although the dash Chassis has the Holes, the Wood grained Overlay does not, so to do it right you need to replace the overlay with one that is cut out, I don't see a Dealer fooling around removing ALL the Instruments and trying to cut the holes in the correct place, too time consuming.

The early Hawks from '56 to '61 were a lot easier to work with, the Left side cutout was already open and plugged with a Clock/Tach. "Dummy".

P96721 is a 1963 Engine, that is a good thing as the original would have been a Partial Flow Engine.

wlfrench
05-09-2015, 03:40 PM
The car does have the Climatizer, Radio (base model no push buttons)and Antenna. White Walls and undercoating were the only things added at the factory. I guess with all the changes over the years I can't say that I'm going to try to keep it original. :)

JoeHall
05-09-2015, 05:03 PM
I see it was originally shipped to Riverside, CA. As mentioned before, I am pretty sure it is the one I owned briefly around 1990. I bought it in Yucca Valley, CA, about 75 miles from Riverside, so it did not stray far, till the Canadian guy bought it from me.

It was definitely black when I had it. Then the Canadian guy sent me pix a few years later, after the current green & white paint job. He picked a nice color combo, as it sure looks beautiful now. :)

wlfrench
05-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Hey Joe, was the Canadian guy named Fred Levitt? Fred was the last real owner. I bought it from a dealer. I got a whole box of receipts and other papers with Fred's name on them from around 2010 to 2012. He put a LOT of money into that car to get her up and running. From what I can tell Fred was/is a SDC member in BC if anybody knows him. I think the car has sat for the last few years because it only has a couple of hundred miles on it since 2010. If you can remember anything else about the car, like who you bought it from or anything else please PM me.

JoeHall
05-09-2015, 09:11 PM
I seem to recall the guy was a retired Mountie, but that is about all.

studegary
05-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Wow, that was a very bare Hawk!
No Climatizer, Radio, Rear Speaker, Antenna, Tinted Glass, nothing. :ohmy:
I am pretty sure to sell this Car, the Dealer would have at least added a Climatizer.

For Riverside, CA, I can see the dealer ordering it without a Climatizer. Even in this area of below zero weather, at that time some people were ordering cars (not only Studebakers) without heaters. I know of dealers that would order a heater kit along with the car to have it when the car was traded back in.

RadioRoy
05-10-2015, 11:22 PM
My 50 Commander convertible came without a heater or radio and my 63 GT Hawk came without a radio, so some deluxe cars were built without many options.