PDA

View Full Version : Steering As Paul Harvey would say............

Hawklover
05-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Had every good intention of changing all the bolts on my bell-crank....this is what happened today:-(

1. The first 4 inch long bolt and nut I put in refused to click my torque wrench at 42 ft pounds........turns out the frame is fatigued under that bolts and the nut just kept pulling down on the bolt, which in turn kept pulling the frame plate down.....had to forget the torque wrench and just go with "instinct"

2. Second four inch bolt could not be removed from the car!!..........why??........no matter how I turned the wheels to move the reach rod, there was no room to pull that bolt out!!.......and I was not going to tie up my buds lift to attempt the removal of that arm...........so, bolt remained and I used a new lock washer and nut.........that was able to take a 42 ft lb tighten.

3. Same problem with the two small bolts that I had with the one 4 inch.........frame was fatigued in that area:-(..nylock had to be removed and I used a standard lock washer and nut.43642

Moral........No way those bolts are coming out.........would I have wanted to change all to the grade 8 I purchased?........sure, but as Kenny Rogers said.........sometime ya just have to know when to fold 'em.

PS........the steering is tight, and on turns the steering wheel returns to the straight ahead position.

A pleasant surprise was finding a late '63 transition Avanti down the block in a detail shop........being rubbed out from a paint job done ten years ago......