PDA

View Full Version : Studebakers in Highway Department Service

Indyted
05-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Greetings everyone:

I know of two individuals who own 1960 Champ pickups. One was assigned to the 'Indiana State Highway Commission' (now known as INDOT) and the other for the 'Californina Department of Transportation' (now known as CALTRANS). They are looking for information on these vehicles. Do any of you have anything in regarding Studebaker sales of fleet vehicles to State/County/City agencies, Utility Companies, Railroads, etc.? Have there been any articles that have been writing for Turning Wheels have may be of assistance? I am aware that one can get the production order sheets for individual cars from the museum but I am inquiring if any of you have information regarding fleet sales including numbers, drawings, pictures and who were the vehicles sold to.
Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide me.

Ted Andrews

BobPalma
05-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Greetings everyone:

I know of two individuals who own 1960 Champ pickups. One was assigned to the 'Indiana State Highway Commission' (now known as INDOT) and the other for the 'Californina Department of Transportation' (now known as CALTRANS). They are looking for information on these vehicles. Do any of you have anything in regarding Studebaker sales of fleet vehicles to State/County/City agencies, Utility Companies, Railroads, etc.? Have there been any articles that have been writing for Turning Wheels have may be of assistance? I am aware that one can get the production order sheets for individual cars from the museum but I am inquiring if any of you have information regarding fleet sales including numbers, drawings, pictures and who were the vehicles sold to.

Ted Andrews

:) Ted, I have many documents of that nature you are welcome to examine and, as you wish, make copies to take with you.

You've been to our home, so let me know when you'd like to return. I'll open the files for you to peruse and copy anything you want, since it is difficult to know just what might strike your fancy, based on the needs of people with whom you are corresponding. ;) :cool: BP

Guido
05-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Frank Drumheller owned a Scotsman pickup that was owned by the state highway department in Virginia.

8E45E
05-08-2015, 08:00 PM
A Caltrans Champ was posted here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?66191-City-of-Los-Angeles-Champ-Truck&highlight=caltrans

Craig

shifter4
05-08-2015, 08:41 PM
In 1962 or more likely 1963 , the Florida State Road Department had some Larks in use for inspection etc service.
The SRD has long since become the Florida Department of Transportation ( FDOT ).
This was in the Central Florida area ,( Distr 5) , and I don't know if other areas used Larks .

05-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Greetings everyone:

Ted Andrews
The state of Kansas had a fleet of pre-Wagonaire Lark station wagons that were used by Highway Department personnel. At that time, my uncle was the state purchasing agent for vehicles and he used to keep me informed about vehicle purchases. I believe those Larks were purchased through a large dealer in Topeka. The Kansas Highway Patrol tested a '63 Super Lark for possible Highway Patrol use. It was clocked at 132 mph on the Kansas Turnpike, but was finally discounted as being too light weight.
I also remember that the city of Manhattan, Kansas had several '59 or '60 patrol cars. I talked to one of the policemen who drove them and he liked the cars. He found them nimble and very quick and were good for catching motorcyclists who though they could get away from those cars. When he left the lot he burned a good strip of rubber to illustrate his point.

8E45E
05-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Here's a three passenger ex-GSA 1962 Lark wagon: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?24940-62-lark-wagon&highlight=wagon+seat

Craig

Lou Van Anne
05-08-2015, 09:20 PM
I remember seeing these Orange Champs on the Highways in Northern California...almost bought a used one once.

Skip Lackie
05-09-2015, 08:18 AM
I considered buying a 1962 7E13 one-ton truck originally owned by the South Dakota highway department; presumably it was part of a fleet.

And the Federal govt purchased large quantities of Stude fleet vehicles, both cars and trucks, in the early 1960s. The scuttlebutt at the time was that the govt didn't want the company going bankrupt. In any case, the General Services Administration sold them off as surplus in the late 60s and early 70s, sometimes in lots of five. One of our Potomac Chapter members owns two: an ex-Park Service 62 station wagon and an ex-FAA 7E28 flatbed truck. The latter had been used at Dulles Airport.

The most famous fleet sales were for trucks. The Navy bought 65 4E7D 4WD pickups (actually built as 1959 models in 1960). The Marine Corps bought 35 heavy duty 8E40E flatbed trucks in 1963, and the Post Office ordered 4238 8E5FC Zip Vans.

Here's a quote from the Stude truck history of the main SDC web site:
"As sales continued to decline, the company continued to seek government contracts for both cars and trucks. Late in the 1963 model year, Studebaker won a U.S. Marine Corps contract for 35 model 8E40E heavy-duty stake trucks with 171-inch wheelbase. Painted in Marine Corps green and equipped with full air brakes, Clark cast wheels, tow hooks and front bumpers bolted to frame extensions, and other heavy-duty equipment (even air horns), they may be the ultimate Studebaker truck."

8E45E
05-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Proof Studebaker actively pursued the fleet market: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?87375-Transtar&highlight=fleet

Craig

Guido
05-09-2015, 10:26 AM
I owned a '63 8E-28 truck with a 9' flatbed. I was the third owner, I was originally a GSA truck. The second owner bought it at a government auction in the spring of 1970 and took it to his farm in West Virginia. When I sold it there were 16,278 original miles on the odometer and all 7 tires were original.