Denise McCluggage, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denise McCluggage, RIP

Sorry to post, many of you have seen this but another bit of Studebaker history has crossed the finish line;

My first image that comes to mind of her was the promo photo of her in the Avanti with the door open and she's looking over her left shoulder. Let's face it, not only was she formidable on the track, she did have great legs as well.

Before anybody calls me out for being a rake, I figured the more common praises will be sung by others about her tenacity and intellect so I thought why not go in another tangent, she would have.

I read all of the Auto Week Story and Denise's Blog, but I don't see the word "Studebaker" anywhere.
    Did She really have some kind of a Studebaker connection?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Oh, man..... I have been reading her stuff since I was young. Always thought she was a great automotive writer. RIP, Denise. (Keep it under 100, OK?)
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Denise tested a new R2 Avanti at Vineland race track and really liked it. She wrote a glowing article about it--so glowing that Studebaker made reprints available as a showroom hand-out for customers. I picked up a copy at Pabich Motor Sales back then. Unfortunately, my copy doesn't have a date on it, but it does say "By Denise McCluggage--Reporter, New York Mirror". Anyone have the exact date of the source?

Anyway, here's her closing paragraph:

"Suffice it to say, the Avanti (under $5,000 with blower) is an important car. I was delighted with it. Thanks should go to Sherwood H. Egbert, Studebaker's President, who dreamed the thing up. If this is the new direction of American cars, we are headed the right way."

R.I.P.

George
        george krem

Comment

Always read her copy, most enjoyable. Sorry to hear of her passing, great lady and very easy on the eyes.
          Will be greatly missed, RIP Denise. ;(
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

She was a good looking lady. Very down to earth and an excellent writer as well. I once sent her an email asking if I had seen her on the plane when I flew to Italy in December of 2000. She said no but we had a nice little conversation about it anyway. Nice lady.

RIP Denise.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Another icon sadly gone and missed like Andy Granatelli. This getting old sure sucks.
                R.I.P. Denise

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                  Before anybody calls me out for being a rake...
                  I won't .
                  I understand she had a romance with Steve McQueen...if her legs were good enough for him....

RIP.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    I won't .
                    I understand she had a romance with Steve McQueen...if her legs were good enough for him....

RIP.
                    Was totally unaware of that tid-bit of info.

I met Steve's 1st ex-wife Neale a few years back. Even today she is smokin'!

Let's face it, while the guy was a bit of a nut, he had great taste.

Comment

Working...
                    X