PDA

View Full Version : When is the Florida State Stude meet? I can't seem to find any info

jimmijim8
05-07-2015, 08:13 AM
cheers jimmijim

doublepaddle
05-07-2015, 11:20 AM
cheers jimmijim

Who's turn (club) is it this year?

mbstude
05-07-2015, 11:42 AM
October 9th -11th in Gainesville. The North Central Florida Chapter (Stephen Cade's bunch) are hosting. They're doing it up with a WWII theme and it'll likely be one of the best meets you'll go to in a long time. From their recent newsletter:

2015 State Meet Report

Martha, Danny & Bussey are working on a Save-the-Date postcard to go out soon to all SDC members in Florida, Georgia & Alabama. There are a little over 700 members in the three states. The front of the postcard will have a picture of Uncle Sam saying “Save-the Date.” The message will mention the USO party, concours and banquet. If possible, we will bring the postcards to the next meeting to address and stamp them. Address labels are already in hand.

USO Party will be on Friday night from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. Nick & the Swingtastics will play 3 sets of music with 2 fifteen minute breaks. We will have 6 foot tables set up for framed photos of members or their family members in uniform. There will be tables for WW II, Korea, Vietnam, Peacetime and the Middle East wars as
we will be honoring all vets. There will also be room for small memorabilia. Denny Cole, a friend of the Grants and a Studebaker owner & fan, is an army air corps historian and has a large collection of memorabilia. He will bring artifacts for a separate table. As the objects are valuable, he will sit at the table during the party. We will want club members to take turns at his table so he can have a break now & then.

Martha needs volunteers to help with decorating the banquet room for both nights. Best Western is working on a special menu for Friday night and will set up a
bar, popcorn stand, and a malted/milkshake stand. They will also provide easels for our WW II posters and a trellis & bench for use in a special photo op. We will cover the trellis in fake grape leaf garlands and have wooden baskets of produce arranged at the base of the trellis. We need an artsy member to design a sign or banner that incorporates SDC and WW II for the photo op. Danny & Bussey have hired a friend who takes photos and develops them while you wait. We will have a few door prizes and 8 to 10 baskets to raffle during the party.

• Saturday’s Events: George Budlong has hired his friend Pete to play 40’s music in the parking lot during the concours. He will play at no cost as a way to honor the vets. Our club will pay for his and his wife Sylvia’s room for both nights.

• Stephen will arrange to have a bar-b-que lunch in the Hospitality Room on Saturday. We are allowed to provide our own food but are asked to keep it in the room as there will be non-Studebaker guests at the hotel too.

• Judging will be People’s Choice. When members turn in their judging forms, they will get a ticket and a chance to win a special prize.

• We will have 2 guest speakers at our Meet. Andrew Beckman, historian and archivist for the National Museum, will speak about War
Production by the Studebaker Corporation. He will arrive on Saturday as he has obligations in Pennsylvania through Friday night. Andrew has
written 2 books, one on the history of Studebaker and one devoted to Avantis. He will bring copies of both to sell and autograph. George
Budlong has confirmed that his neighbor, a Tuskeegee Airman, will also come to our Meet and speak about his experiences. We will decide
later if he will speak at the USO Party or at the Banquet. Our club will also pay for his room both nights

• Danny & Martha are collecting items for the centerpieces for the banquet. They will be miniature Victory Gardens. Carol will help with
the design.

• On Sunday, those who are interested will drive to the Cade Polebarn to see the Cade’s Studebaker collection. Orange Juice, coffee and donuts will be provided.

•Stephen & Derwood are working on the brakes of a 1942 President and a US6 truck. They will be photographed in front of the hotel and Best Western will use that photo on the key card folders. The vehicles will also be parked in front of the hotel during the Meet.

studegary
05-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Thank you for the information Matt.

I have attended many Florida State Meets. As you know, it is a long drive for me (longer all the time <G>). The one that I went to in Gainesville was especially enjoyable.

The postcards are nice and quite an expense. To me, it is more important to get the date in "What's Happening" in Turning Wheels as soon as possible. Those that travel a distance need advance notice. One of the first people that I ran into at the Gainesville meet was someone that I know from Indiana.

DEEPNHOCK
05-07-2015, 02:48 PM
At the Best Western (again)?

jimmijim8
05-08-2015, 07:28 AM
thank you jimmijim

mbstude
05-08-2015, 01:17 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the same place, Jeff.

Gary, start planning! I'd love to see you there.

DEEPNHOCK
05-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Made my reservation today at the Best Western.
There is a block of rooms for the Stude crowd.
$89 for two double beds. $99 for a King with a roll out.

I'm pretty sure it's the same place, Jeff.
Gary, start planning! I'd love to see you there.