PDA

View Full Version : Heart surgery for Ol'Bullit.

rockinhawk
05-03-2015, 07:12 PM
For the first time in it's life, Ol'Bullit has had it's engine removed. 30 years ago we did an in-frame ring job. We dropped the oil pan,removed the head,pushed the pistons out the top,honed the cylinders,put in new rings and rod bearings,then went back to driving it. Now it's time to go through it again.This time I think it deserves a complete rebuild.the poor old Champion took me to Church awhile back,and just barely made it home.It was gasping for air,weak,and almost exhausted.Internal diagnosis revealed a blown head gasket and two burned valves.
At 64 years old I suppose it's time to give it a real overhaul.

*#!&^?% I still can't get this dang system to post pictures!

OK,guess I just had to cuss it a little.

dean pearson
05-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Poor thing,
But it looks like he's in good hands!

Dean.

r1lark
05-03-2015, 08:16 PM
We will start calling you Doctor Neil :D

57pack
05-03-2015, 11:14 PM
I have to ask...Was there enough room to remove motor without removing the hood?
I just put the motor and automatic trans back in my Wagonaire without removing the hood but had the all the other sheet metal removed. I didn't want to mess with those torsion bar hood lifts and had to totally rebuild the front suspension anyway.

jclary
05-03-2015, 11:59 PM
Hey, thanks for posting that picture. I have one of those cheap engine stands that I have not used (yet). Now that I see that, with a little addition of well placed planks, it might hold something besides a SBC.:)

rockinhawk
05-04-2015, 06:54 AM
57Pack, The hood was removed for the operation.It was replaced afterward. John,we made the little engine cart work but it doesn't roll very well

57pack
05-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks Neil! I was a wondering how you did it!
I used a wheel dolly and some 2x4's to move my motor around. Worked just ok, but worked.