PDA

View Full Version : Body: Avanti Drivers Door

Hawklover
05-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Not always but more often than not, the drivers door on my '64 Avanti pops open....now when I say popped open I mean the door becomes slightly ajar, I then have to stop the car and almost slam the door closed to be able to engage the thumb lock chrome knob.

Is this due to the lock on the door itself, or the striker assembly on the lock pillar post???

How does one adjust to stop this popping open??

dtracy
05-03-2015, 05:17 PM
I'm just guessing here but the door could be adjusted too tight and not allowing the latch to completely enguage. Loosen the striker just a little until when you close the door you get the safety catch and then the full lock with some slack in the door. Then tighten the striker a little at a time until when full lock the door is tight.

Dave.

bezhawk
05-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Also look at the teeth on the bottom of the lock pillar striker. They may be worn too much, and a replacement is in order.

Hawklover
05-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Brad, if needed, can I just remove the old striker and install a new without a major adjustment required?
Also look at the teeth on the bottom of the lock pillar striker. They may be worn too much, and a replacement is in order.

bezhawk
05-04-2015, 10:33 AM
As long as the door is not sagging or suffering from broken fiberglass at the hinge attaching points, then yes you can simply mark and swap out the strikers.