GT Hawk brake lights don't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: GT Hawk brake lights don't work

The brakes lights on my Hawk won't go on when I push down the brake pedal. Power does go to the brake light switch. I removed the wires that connect to the brake light switch and put a wire across them and the brake lights still won't go on, so it's not the switch. The directional signals work, (as does the Flarestat, which I had added decades ago); the rear running lights do too. Any thoughts on what the cause might be?

Since you say that the Turn signals work, that rules out the wiring, the Bulbs & Sockets.

So with tested Power to the Stoplight Switch that narrows it down to the wire from there to the turn signal switch.

Check the coupling sleeve on the Stop Light wire at the Steering Column disconnect and test there with Brakes on, if good, it is IN the Column or Turn Signal Switch or it's connections behind the Wheel.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had one of those TS switches apart not to long ago. The switch its self has 4 contacts in it. One contact for each stock bulb. If the TS switch works the problem has to be in the brake light connector coupling sleve. Check it out as StudeRich suggested.
      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      63 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      45 Agricat
      67 Triumph T100
      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I had brake light issues -cause was wires in the rear harness (between trunk exit and tail light assembly) that had corroded from old age/weather exposure. (Mind you, it was a dogs breakfast back there due to fitment of a tow bar and associated plug, so this may not be relevant to your car). I replaced those wires, and also removed the bulb holder from the tail light assembly and sanded the metal terminals clean. All good. Quentin.

Comment

Hi, it was the brake light connection on the directional signal switch. Thanks.

Comment

Hey guys,been using small caliber bore brushes chucked in drill to clean those sleeve connecters. works great! Doofus

Comment

Working...
            X