Studebaker mention at today's NASCAR race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker mention at today's NASCAR race

A few minutes ago commentator Darrell Waltrip was explaining how a driver will try to get to the front of the pack at Talladega. He said a driver will use anybody that can help push him to the front of the pack even if the guy is driving a Studebaker. Not exactly a positive Studebaker comment I would say, even though it was done tongue in cheek.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

sadly, but understandably, each year we get older fewer and fewer folks will not understand that comment in the context it was made...I wonder how many 30 and under viewers even `got it`...

junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
      sadly, but understandably, each year we get older fewer and fewer folks will not understand that comment in the context it was made...I wonder how many 30 and under viewers even `got it`...

junior
      I caught the Stude reference too , and then later he mentioned how well the Jimmy Means entry did in the
      Saturday Xfinity race.
      Many have probably already forgotten about Jimmy . Time passes on .
      Bill H
      Daytona Beach
      SDC member since 1970
      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

DW could have just as easily said Packard or Edsel or Desoto...he was referencing a car that would in 2015 be old and therefore normally slow. I'll take it: as they say, "Any publicity is good publicity!"
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Darrell Waltrip is a joker and I took what he said with a grain of salt. He may have said Studebaker because it's more likely that folks would recognize the name. Many young people would not recognize Hudson or Nash, etc. Edsel would get a reaction, but people don't really know why the reaction.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It caught my attention and made me chuckle. Love it.

Comment

Like the late Dale Earnhardt said "I don't care if they talk good or bad about me as long as they're talking"

Comment

Frank.......... Nancy was excited when I got home from turkey hunting saying Waltrip had commented on Studebaker at Nascar. Glad you caught it. and as above "as long as they are talking". Think how many people Googled "Studebaker" yesterday after that single comment.
                It is an addiction!

Comment

Working...
                X